We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone usage in UK

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone usage in UK

Hi there, I'm going to England for three weeks in December. My question is this: is it best to just buy a cheap mobile phone over there and put credit on it to use while I'm over there? It seems a bit of hassle - plus too easy to get a massive phone bill - if I take my own mobile. I mainly need it for texting, but also the odd call. Thanks, Charlotte PS - you can tell I'm not all that techno-savvy so I'm working on the KISS principle! The easier, the better....

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone usage in UK

My niece has just been visiting England from Canada for a month and didn't bring her phone with her as it would have been too costly. We went into a mobile phone shop in London( EE in our case tho most have similar prices ) and got a basic phone with a decent calls and text package for £18.

The phone looked like a toy phone but did the job for her while she was in England.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone usage in UK

Go in to any Carphone Warehouse shop where you can pick up a cheap mobile for around 10 quid (pounds) and a SIM for about 2 pounds. I always do this when I travel to the UK as I keep my Australian phone free in case anyone needs to contact me from home.

La Herradura, Spain
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh
Level Contributor
3,402 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone usage in UK

Sorry slip of the finger - it was £15 not £18.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone usage in UK

If you search through here:

carphonewarehouse.com/pay-as-you-go/deal-fin…

You'll find some cheap ones.

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phone usage in UK

You will also find that the larger supermarkets like ASDA and Tesco in the UK sell very cheap mobiles. Don't pay anymore than £15 and £10 of credit will be plenty for texts etc.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
29,848 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phone usage in UK

Supermarkets have the price up front, just pick up and buy. Should have a free sim and you can add credit there as well. Better than the queues and hassle from a mobile shop where they'll want to sell you something more

Tescos - for £9 with an offer to increase the number of calls. Haven't read it so it may not be that good.

Asda - …asda.com/Mobile-Phones/…sc.html

Sainsburys - www.phoneshopbysainsburys.co.uk/phones.html…

It might be worth looking at the cost of texts and calls and comparing the providers. Some will double weekend texts or give them free when you top up. Virgin (sim card) does this..........I'm sure others do too.

So add Virgin, Orange, o3, to the supermarket offers.......I'm sure others can come up with some more names.

7. Re: Mobile phone usage in UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 06:19