We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from A to B on bike?

Holbaek, Denmark
13 posts
Save Topic
Getting from A to B on bike?

Hello everyone.

New UK citizen here with a (probably really weird ;)) question! Since there are no obvious indications around where I live - where do cyclists normally bike?! On the road? On what I assume is the pedestrian walk? Does it depend on the traffic??

Also would be eternally grateful if someone knows of an updated GPS app which doesn't lead cyclists and pedestrians onto the A-something roads :) Google maps isn't updated (not for Northampton anyway)

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from A to B on bike?

Cycling on pavements is illegal and you can be fined

There are dedicated cycle routes in some areas, otherwise use roads - that is where wheels belong

Holbaek, Denmark
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from A to B on bike?

No need to make me sound stupid thanks. I know in some places around the world you do bike on same roads as pedestrians (as a general thing, not just where there's signs for it) so that is why I asked. But thank you for the reply.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from A to B on bike?

Sometimes you are allowed to cycle on the pedestrian footpath - if it's clearly indicated, usually with a blue sign. Cycling facilities in the UK are not very good, I'm afraid! Cycle paths do exist in places. Roads often have cycle paths painted on the sides too. Sometimes the cyclepaths can be more dangerous than the road because they go across sideroads and driveways, or are too narrow.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,387 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from A to B on bike?

Lutti - if you're new to the UK the Highway Code is the official guidance for road users - there are specific sections for cyclists at:

https:/…rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82

These are part law & part guidance. Other areas of the code cover general road information, such as signs, as well as specific areas for cars etc.

The Transport Direct site has a route planner for cyclists at:

transportdirect.info/Web2/…

There's a National Cycle Network, covering 14000miles - some is dedicated cycle space others shared:

sustrans.org.uk/ncn/…national-cycle-network

Your local district or county council may have a section on their website for cycle routes within the area. As you mentioned Northampton here's the link for Northamptonshire County Council's website Cycle Routes:

northamptonshire.gov.uk/en/…cycle-routes.aspx

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
421 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from A to B on bike?

You should look at the highway code, which has a specific section for cyclists: https://www.gov.uk/highway-code

6. Re: Getting from A to B on bike?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 05:18