We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London/Cambridge/Windsor/Stratford-upon-Avon?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Topic
London/Cambridge/Windsor/Stratford-upon-Avon?

Hi,

It looks like I'll have a day longer in London than I had originally planned, so I'm in the process of deciding whether I want to spend it actually in London or whether I should take a day trip somewhere else. It will be in December so I know the daylight hours will be very short. I was interested in going to Cambridge, Windsor Castle or Statford-upon-Avon, but initially didn't have time, so now that I have that extra day I'm wondering if I should pick one to squeeze in for a day or just stick to London. I will be seeing a couple of other areas of England (Bath and Portsmouth) so my entire trip isn't based in London, but I'm not sure whether I'm branching out enough. I've always wanted to go to London and feel like it's the sort of place you'd never get bored it but I don't want to miss any other opportunities either!

If I were to do a day trip, which of these places would you recommend? I do know everyone has different tastes, but I'm finding it difficult since I'd like to see them all. Which would be best to spend a day in as a solo traveller? Ideally, I'd like somewhere that's pretty, interesting (with an interesting history), easy to get to from south London and is good for someone with quite a tight budget.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: London/Cambridge/Windsor/Stratford-upon-Avon?

I think Windsor would be closest and you can explore Windsor Castle, the town of Windsor and Eton and have a walk along the river (depending on the weather).

Opening hours for December are:

November to February - Open daily 09:45-16:15 - (last admission 15:00) - A typical visit lasts 2-3 hours.

Whether you want to head out of London might depend on how long you have there to start with and what you are doing with that time? Will you have enough time to see and do all you plan to see an do or might there be things you miss?

Another suggestion is Hampton Court Palace (assuming you're not already visiting earlier in your trip). I would also put Bath into the mix. It's a bit further than Windsor but would meet your requirements for pretty and historically interesting, not sure about budget though, but it doesn't cost anything to walk and look at the Georgian architecture and the Bath Abbey is only a couple of pounds. I believe you can also buy a combined ticket to the Roman Baths and the Costume museum (museum of fashion? I can't remember, clothes though).

Taking advice from Google, Stratford-upon-Avon looks to be over 2 hours by train which would make it a long day. Mind you I suggested Bath and that's about 1.5 hours!

Unless you decide now that there's somewhere that you just *have* to see, maybe decide when you're in London. You might find you have enough to do in London and will save day trips for another time.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,640 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London/Cambridge/Windsor/Stratford-upon-Avon?

Well, I am biased towards Windsor. It is an easy day trip from London, which will work no matter what the weather.

Stratford-upon-Avon I would not recommend in December; it is also a pretty long day, 2-2+ hours by train each way. I fit were me, I would visit the replica of the Globe theater in London.

http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/

Cambridge is definitely a place to consider, but this is a University town, so quite different from visiting Windsor, which offers a medieval Castle.

Just to help confuse you some more, here is a link to many day trips you can make from London, and the time it takes to get there, one way.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c174500/Londo…

Info on visiting Windsor:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157824/Winds…

Getting there by train:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157699/Winds…

Edited: 06 December 2013, 04:35
3. Re: London/Cambridge/Windsor/Stratford-upon-Avon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2014, 05:18