We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for road trip, South England. Need advises please

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
610 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for road trip, South England. Need advises please

After a 2 weeks stay in London, we (couple in the 50) want to do a road trip. We will travel by train to Cantebury and will rent a car from there. We will have 10 days. Here is our first plan:

1 night Canterbury

2 nights Brighton

1 night Southampton or Bournemouth ( your opinion?)

2 nights Bath (or should we stay out of town?)

3 nights Bourton-on-the-water (base to explore Cotswold)

1 night Cambridge, where we drop the car before going back home from Heathrow.

Is there some villages we should not miss?

My husband want to play golf (twice) Any suggestions?

For our accomodation, we prefer BnB or small hotel.

Any comment or suggestion will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for road trip, South England. Need advises please

That seems like a reasonable itinerary. In which month are you planning to travel?

En route from Canterbury to Brighton, I would suggest a walk around the lovely ancient town of Rye.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
6,881 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for road trip, South England. Need advises please

Your choice but you could easily simplify this, you don't need to be doing so much moving around, moving accommodation, shifting luggage etc. These are not places that are actually all that far apart, in fact everywhere you mention can actually be done as a day trip from London.

Suggestion would be to do Canterbury as a day trip from London and possibly Cambridge too (if you're only going to plan to stay one night in each, that's basically the same thing. Then the South coast - Bath - Cotswolds loops you back to Heathrow (why not drop the car there, rather than beforehand?). If you don't know whether you want to go to Southampton or Bournemouth (which are very different), do you actually want to go to either?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
610 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for road trip, South England. Need advises please

We will travel in mid-August.

Thank you for your comment. What route should we take from Canterbury to Brighton? We have all our time, so no rush.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
610 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for road trip, South England. Need advises please

C0rnc0b , I have read your reply after my last post.

About Southampton and Bournemouth, maybe I should stay in one of those city and visit the other want half a day ?

It will be impossible to do day trip from London to visit Canterbury and Cambridge, that is why I include those cities in my itinerary. But, I dont want to do a marathon and I can let down Canterbury. I will be back to London and then I will do it as a day trip.

Thank you for your advises.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,206 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for road trip, South England. Need advises please

I wouldn't bother with either Southampton or Bournemouth and would replace this leg with Winchester or Salisbury. Is there a particular reason why you want to go to Cambridge and not Oxford? Other things being equal, I would choose Cambridge over Oxford - just - but other things are not equal and logistically Oxford makes more sense than Cambridge.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
610 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for road trip, South England. Need advises please

Thank you for your advises . Winchester is a good idea. We have already visited Oxford, that is why I choose Cambridge this time.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,206 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for road trip, South England. Need advises please

In that case I'd make Cambridge a day trip while staying in London, a journey of about 50 minutes. By car from Bourton on the Water to Cambridge it is about 2 hours 45 minutes' (not very interesting) driving with another 15 minutes for the park and ride.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
610 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for road trip, South England. Need advises please

We wont have time to any more day trip from London. But if Cambridge is not a good idea, from where should we get back to Heathrow. Is there another city or village we should visit?

N.B. Sorry for my poor english.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,206 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for road trip, South England. Need advises please

You say you have two weeks in London: are you sure you can't shuffle things around to achieve a day trip to Cambridge? It's a lovely city and I really don't want to talk you out of going there. How about taking one day away from Bourton on the Water and giving it to London? As for an alternative final two days' location, the obvious choice would be Windsor with its castle, Great Park, and a walk across the footbridge to have a tour of Eton College.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for road trip, South England. Need advises please

Another vote for Winchester, a lovely place to visit. However, just wanted to say that parking in both Brighton and Bath is a complete nightmare so be sure to book accommodation with parking of be prepared to pay through the nose & find driving about difficult. Whilst in Brighton I would recommend a trip to Lewes also.