We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to visit for 11 nights in England by car from London

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to visit for 11 nights in England by car from London

We (a group of 4) have 11 nights to cover places in England from London and back to London again for departure. Will be our first time to UK in mid May 2014

I am planning 3 nights in Leicester to visit the surrounding towns, eg. St Alban, Ely, Cambridge, Peterborough, Rut

3 nights in Yorkshire to cover, York, Scaborough, Whitby, Robin Hood's bay, National Park, Hull

Last 2 nights will be back in southern part of England near to London, eg. Canterbury, Rye, Brighton, etc

I have 3 more nights, any suggestion where would be a better places to stop over before going back to London? Is Northumberland adviseable? Or any places in England west? Have drop Edeinburgh and Glasgow, seems very far.

We prefer not too touristic places unless not-to-be missed like castles, villages, cathederal, sceneries, etc.. and also places with not too strict parkings laws.

I believed most of the places mentioned above are touristic, as i am searching from the website. Hope I can get some assistance and suggestion of nice places. Got some from past forums like Sherborne, Lowestoft...will be searching again.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to visit for 11 nights in England by car from London

There are two National Parks in North Yorkshire - the Dales and the Moors. Which one did you want to visit.

Can I ask why Hull?

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to visit for 11 nights in England by car from London

<<< places with not too strict parkings laws >>>

Dream on - they're after your money everywhere

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
920 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to visit for 11 nights in England by car from London

Northumberland is almost as far as Edinburgh, so if you really want to see Edinburgh, why not use that as a base?

Is there a particular reason why you want to go to Leicester, Peterborough and Hull? They wouldn't be first on my list. Instead of Leicester, perhaps stay in East anglia (Ely or cambridge)

Two nights "in the South" only gives you one day if most of the first day is driving from the north. Not sure it's worth it.

In general, What is it in particular you want to see in the UK? 11 days isn't that long for everything you want to do, and you could spend a lot of it driving around rather than enjoying it. Personally I would prefer to pick two (or maybe three) places and stay longer in each. But where you pick will depend on what you want to do.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
45,851 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to visit for 11 nights in England by car from London

I suppose you could visit all of those places if you had a helicopter. I suppose you could even visit them all in 11 days with a car if you didn't bother getting out of the car!

Seriously, I wouldn't call Hull or Peterborough touristic, and that's just for starters. Pick a couple of areas such as East Anglia and Yorkshire and explore them at a relaxed pace rather than trying to charge all over the UK. To this end, the question above is a good one - what, specifically, do you enjoy doing?

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to visit for 11 nights in England by car from London

You could try The Cotswolds which is a area of rolling hills and pretty villages. Can be combined with a trip to bath or Oxford. Another place is The Lake District, says it all really, mountains and lakes. This can be done in combination with Yorkshire.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to visit for 11 nights in England by car from London

May I suggest (though it sounds rather rude) that you get a UK guide book. From that decide what sorts of things that you and yours would like to see. Have you a theme like castles, churches, pretty towns and villages, national parks?

And you will benefit from a map - St Albans is not too close to Leicester or Peterborough or Rut (land?).

And who suggested Lowestoft?

And cut down on travelling time in favour of looking time. And have you put any time aside for London - I suspect that you might find there is more it than an airport?

But do have a good time.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to visit for 11 nights in England by car from London

On another thread you have asked about St Albans, Cambridge and Ely. May I suggest that when you hire your car you also rent a satnav. I would find that, cross country, trip quite difficult to navigate.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to visit for 11 nights in England by car from London

One alternative plan would be not to rent a car for the whole holiday but to stay in London and you can see many of the places you mention each as a day trip by train from London.

St Albans, Cambridge, Canterbury, Windsor, Oxford , Winchester and many more can be reached from London by a one hour train journey and may be a more relaxing way of doing the southern England section.

Please note that Leicester is a long way from the other places you mention in that section. Not a good base for seeing them.

I think you are trying to do too much. I suggest you spend about half your time based in London with a few day trips out and then take the train to York and hire a car there to see Yorkshire and the Dales and the North York Moors.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to visit for 11 nights in England by car from London

I would not stay in Leicester at all, and it is not a base for the towns you want to see, and why Peterborough?!!!

Stay in Cambridge, have a day in Ely, or Bury St Edmund, Newmarket or King's Lynn.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to visit for 11 nights in England by car from London

Hi Scorpio.

Thus far you seem to have ignored every piece of (good) advice given to you in your previous threads.

What's really the point of another one?

You still appear to have no idea why you actually want to go to any of the places that you are randomly pulling off the internet, and no concept about how much you can actually accomplish in 11 days.