We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking Fine?

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Parking Fine?

While I was in England last November I stayed at a self catering apartment in Cheshire which had an allocated parking space, for which I was provided with a parking permit on check in. The parking permit was only a photocopy but I assumed this would be ok because it's what I was given by the apartment owner. During my stay I received a notice on my car saying that I was in violation of parking conditions by not displaying a valid parking permit, ie a photocopy instead of an original. I immediately contacted the property owner, who assured me she would sort it out.

I have since received an extra charge on my credit card from the car rental company which turns out to be the parking fine for the above mentioned notice. So obviously the property owner didn't do anything about it. I'm absolutely fuming!! I have written to the property owner, requesting that she reimburse me in the amount of the fine (100 pounds!!!!) but what happens if she doesn't? This is clearly a matter for her to sort because she didn't provide an original parking permit but a photocopy instead. Do I have any recourse? I have also written to ANPR (the issuer of the fine) but don't expect much from them.

Any info appreciated.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking Fine?

Firstly it is not a fine. It is an invoice that has been issued by a private parking company.

Get yourself over to the pepipoo website where you will get help and the people on the forums there will explain how to get your money back

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking Fine?

Get yourself over to the pepipoo website where you will get help and the people on the forums there will explain how to get your money back

-------

All of that advice will be useless because of the involvement of the car rental company, who as has happened will pay up and then charge you.

You will have to try and get it back from the rental owner. If she isn't playing ball, tell her you will make a charge via the small claims court, which is via an online process called money claims online. Whether it not you actually follow through, it may produce the righ effect.

You could also leave a review on whichever website you rented from.

Other than that, I think you may be out of luck.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking Fine?

"All of that advice will be useless because of the involvement of the car rental company, who as has happened will pay up and then charge you."

Incorrect.

Get the experts at pepipoo involved.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,928 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking Fine?

Also dispute it with your credit card company - worth a try.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 07:12
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,077 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking Fine?

Sue the idiot who said that a "photocopy" would be OK. At the very least write a review of the place emphasising the "fine"

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking Fine?

Incorrect.

Get the experts at pepipoo involved.

=====

I cant see anything on that website about disputing a fine that a rental company paid "on your behalf"*, or how you'd go about persuading the rental company to unpay the fine (which no doubt they already paid) or take the hit on your behalf.

maybe I've just missed that bit, perhaps you can point to a section of their website that deals with that.

EDIT: Looks like the OP has posted on the pepipoo website. forums.pepipoo.com/index.php…

* though no doubt there is something in the rental Ts&Cs that says you give them carte blanche to deal with any traffic offenses and the like.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 12:11
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking Fine?

Joeintheuk, firstly it is not a fine. Private companies cannot issue fines.

There are a number of threads on the subject of hire cars and PCNs however I cannot link to them at present as I am on my phone.

Terms and conditions of hire include the ability of the hire company to pay legitimate fines and charges.

This is neither a fine nor a legitimate charge.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,268 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking Fine?

^^^ Williamt.

You are assuming the fine was issued by a private company. My guess from reading the OP is that the parking permit is isssued by the local council, and that the penalty notice was issued by council employed traffic warden and thus perfectly legitimate.

Thats the way it seems to work in most towns from what I have seen.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking Fine?

Since the OP mentioned a private company in the original post, ANPR, it seemed a reasonable assumption to make.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking Fine?

There are a number of threads on the subject of hire cars and PCNs

====

I see now that there are.

I also see, on the ones I looked at, that the rental company paid up, that the credit card company told the claimant to go spin, so my advice about issuing a small claim court (or whatever the legally correct name is) is the only way forward to get your money back, unless leaving a significantly bad review works.

And I think he'd have more success against the owner of the apartment rather than a large car rental company. Unless they decide its not worth fighting and pay up. But they might fight it to avoid a precedent.