We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Southampton to Dover and back

Laughlin, Nevada
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Southampton to Dover and back

I need to travel from Southampton England to Dover and back in May. There will be two of us and would like to know the best way to make this journey. We will depart in the morning and need to be at the destination by early afternoon.

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Southampton to Dover and back

The easiest way is by train from Southampton Central to Waterloo Station in London, then walk to Waterloo East station (it not very far and is clearly signposted). From there get a train to Dover Priory station. The cost of a period return is £72 per person. Traveliing on a Saturday or Sunday could involve a bus jounrey for part of the way if there are repairs taking place. The journey is scheduled to take about three hours 30 minutes in all.

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…search

Edited: 02 March 2014, 21:37
Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Southampton to Dover and back

I should add that there is no need to book the tickets in advance because I do not think there is any saving by doing so. Trains from Southampton are busy on weekday mornings but it should be possible to find a seat.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,336 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Southampton to Dover and back

Check Megabus for cheap TRAIN fares between Southampton & London.

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Southampton to Dover and back

Megabus services are rarely much use for the time you want to travel - and you want a return on a certain day. Using a Megabus train could cost you more than the £72 return fare. The latter is available on trains that leave after 9am - before that it is much more expensive.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Southampton to Dover and back

Is the return journey the same day? If so, I would be tempted to hire a car. You can share the driving and transport of luggage is easier.

6. Re: Travel from Southampton to Dover and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 06:16