We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to base in Sussex for 1 month stay?

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where to base in Sussex for 1 month stay?

We are an older couple staying one month in the southeast in self catering, and wonder where to base ourselves. We will have a car, and are not focused on the beach but more interested in historical sites: castles, gardens, stately homes, etc. We are trying to determine what would be the most central to the most sites. I am having trouble determining this with online research.

Many Thanks,

Wilma

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,584 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to base in Sussex for 1 month stay?

Sussex is a long thin county (or two, if you accept the division into East and West) along the coast, and the east to west roads are not good, with the central towns (OK, city) of Brighton and Hove being very car-unfriendly. Somewhere like Hurstpierpoint or Hassocks might suit.

Or for somewhere a bit more picturesque, Steyning.

Edited: 02 April 2014, 13:54
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to base in Sussex for 1 month stay?

Thank you. This is such a struggle, as I want to see and do everything, and one must accept limitations.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to base in Sussex for 1 month stay?

Forgive me, but myself and others have already spent considerable time answering this question on your two other threads :

tripadvisor.co.uk/…57200432

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186217-i16-k733…

If you're not happy with the advice, fair enough - but please don't keep starting new threads.

Mike

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to base in Sussex for 1 month stay?

I do apologise. After I initially posted, a short time later Tripadvisor had a message saying the topic was closed, which I didn't understand as the messages seemed very innocuous. Knowing the square root of nothing about Tradvisor's rules, which I tried to read, I just started a new topic. However, it seems that first thread is open again. I am very confused.

Also, I apologise for a third query. I hadn't been clear enough in my posting(s) about having a car, what we wanted to focus on, etc. and I was trying to clarify. At one point, I saw someone being scolded for putting their postings on more than one topic and they were told to just put it under England, so I tried to adjust, but I obviously blew it. I am not very well versed on the usage of Tripadvisor. (in my late 60’s and trying to "keep up").

Anyway, I am most appreciative of the efforts of people such as yourself who take the time to help visitors. It is very kind of you!

I will end my queries on this topic, so as not to cause further confusion or consternation.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to base in Sussex for 1 month stay?

Worse things happen ! Just stick to one of these threads (may I nominate this one for simplicity ?) and you'll be fine.

I think you need to stop worrying and just choose somewhere to stay ! Put the postcode (zip code) of wherever you choose into google maps and explore the area by street view. That will ensure you get a feel for it. Myself and the other Sussex experts (Tarry, Sldm, davidblades etc.) will be happy to give you a quick view on the village in question before you press the "book" button.

So... Where do you like the look of ?

Mike

6. Re: Where to base in Sussex for 1 month stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2015, 05:16