We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Scotland w. 10yr. old girl and mom

NYC
Level Contributor
16 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
London to Scotland w. 10yr. old girl and mom

I've seen other posts and train vs. airplane but I'm interested in seeing the country so I'd rather train. We'll be leaving London and would love to see as much as possible between there and Edinburgh. Could you rent a car and then stop along the way? Or should I just train up stopping or would a 10 yr. old be bored with just countryside?

I HAVE to see a Campbell castle (maiden name) during the trip too.

So, any place to stop along the way that would be worth it? Or just get a sleeper and get up to the bigger cities?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Scotland w. 10yr. old girl and mom

Would your 10 year old be bored? Ask them?

If you are in central London then train is the ideal way. The last part of the journey is very pretty. Sit on the right hand side of the train for the better views.

However if you want to stop and get off the beaten track then a car offers more flexibility. Parking in Edinburgh can be a bit of an issue but it is not an insurmountable problem.

Edited: 09 April 2014, 14:10
Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Scotland w. 10yr. old girl and mom

How long have you got for the journey? If it's one day, then there's no question - take the train; it's twice as fast, and half the stress. Much less boring than sitting in a car. If you're thinking of taking 3-4 days, then you could use a car and stop at interesting things on the way. But even then, you could interrupt the train journey with a stop in York (you'd need tickets to allow that stop of course).

Essex
Level Contributor
27,933 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Scotland w. 10yr. old girl and mom

What will you do with luggage though, if you do "break" your train journey??

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Scotland w. 10yr. old girl and mom

It's just over 4hrs on a fast train London Kings Cross to Edinburgh. If you book in advance and get good value first class tickets then you get unlimited wifi on the train which might help to entertain the 10yr old. I'm sure a good pile of books, magazines and games things will keep them entertained! If you just want to get from London to Edinburgh I wouldn't even consider driving. You other option is of course flying of which the cheapest and within easiest access of central London tends to be Easyjet flights from Gatwick. Heathrow and London City can be very pricy but shop around as you might strike lucky.

There are left luggage facilities at most major stations if you wanted to only spend a couple of hours in places along the way but to avoid missing trains I'd suggest spending a night in maybe York and possibly also Durham or Newcastle.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,933 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Scotland w. 10yr. old girl and mom

OK, yes, there are left-luggage lockers at York

www.visityork.org/travel/travel-to-york.aspx

IMO train is better, you are free to get up and move around, you are not strapped into a seat like you are in car or on plane. You get to talk to/play with/read with the DD rather than having to concentrate on driving. You can snooze if you want. You see more things than clouds, or motorway tarmac and it is city centre to city centre....

6. Re: London to Scotland w. 10yr. old girl and mom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2015, 06:16