We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Stonehenge/Cornwall/The Cotswolds then Liverpool

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Stonehenge/Cornwall/The Cotswolds then Liverpool

I've been trying to research our options for trains/buses to get to Stonehenge/Cornwall/The Cotswolds and then up to Liverpool. We would prefer to do public transit, as I really am not fond of driving in England (I've done it in Australia). But I am finding that an auto rental is far cheaper than trains & buses, and of course timing is what we choose it to be. Does anyone have any suggestions to make it more economical to do public transit?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Stonehenge/Cornwall/The Cotswolds then Liverpool

Does anyone have any suggestions to make it more economical to do public transit?

-------

Not without knowing how many people, what dates,what prices you are currently seeing and how much time you have for this tour.

However, for the places you mention, a car is going to be somewhere between very useful and essential so even if it was more expensive it may well be advisable.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,766 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Stonehenge/Cornwall/The Cotswolds then Liverpool

Also where are you statring from - flying into?

Not sure how you would fit Cornwall in as it is right down at the bottom and Liverpool at the top.

Stonehenge and Cotswolds go together. You can go London - Stonehenge - Bath and do a day trip to the Cotswolds. The up to Liverpoot or down to Cornwall.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Stonehenge/Cornwall/The Cotswolds then Liverpool

It is for two people. We would start in London.

If we rent a car, we would pick up from Heathrow.

We are planning to leave London and head to Stonehenge, then to Delabole for one night. Then up to Bourton on the Water for two nights, then up to Liverpool for one night where we fly out to Dublin.

This would be starting Sept. 4th and ending up in Liverpool on Sept. 7th.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Stonehenge/Cornwall/The Cotswolds then Liverpool

That is WAY too much for that little time,. It's not achievable at all by public transport and it may not be possible by car either but if it is, just, you will not see anything at all of Delabole.

So, something will have to give in your itinerary. Time or locations.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Stonehenge/Cornwall/The Cotswolds then Liverpool

When I look up drive times, it's never any longer than 3 hours to each destination. Is this correct?

We're just trying to get a taste of each place, we don't need to get too in depth. The place I want to see the most is The Cotswolds, that's why we're there for two nights.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,524 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Stonehenge/Cornwall/The Cotswolds then Liverpool

3 hours driving time is if you drive on clear roads/motorways with no other traffic, with no delays caused by roadworks, accidents etc etc

P.S. In Liverpool you would have to get out to JLA airport in the south of city from where you are staying (I assume the city centre), allowing a minimum of 45 mins to get there.

Then there's check in/security at JLA which you should allow a minimum of 1.5 hours.

I hope you have included this in your plan. ;-)

Edited: 18 May 2014, 18:08
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Stonehenge/Cornwall/The Cotswolds then Liverpool

Thanks for the heads up on all those things. I think we'll have to discuss this a little more and maybe make a few tweaks to our plans. Thanks!

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Stonehenge/Cornwall/The Cotswolds then Liverpool

Are you planning to get off your flight and drive to Stonehenge and on to Delabole in one day? I do hope not as you will be exhausted and a danger to yourself and others. Driving would be the only realistic way of doing this trip as the places you mention aren't near the railway.

Even if you're not coming straight off a flight, London Stonehenge Delabole in one day is possible but a lot of driving and might not be much fun. Then the next day you would have to turn round and drive for several hours to Bourton. It's your holiday, but personally I wouldn't even contemplate driving all that way for a very quick visit. And why Delabole? It's nothing special.

If you really want to see a little bit more of the West Country without driving so far, consider stopping somewhere in Somerset. Wells, Dunster and Sherbourne are some interesting and attractive small places you might like to consider.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
13 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Stonehenge/Cornwall/The Cotswolds then Liverpool

We'll be in London for 4 days prior to doing this. I picked Delabole because of price of the hotel. We wanted a quick visit to Port Isaac.

I really appreciate your insight on this. We may consider the other places you suggested or even may remove Cornwall from our itinerary.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Stonehenge/Cornwall/The Cotswolds then Liverpool

Not much worth seeing in Delabole. IMO it is a complete waste of time to drive all the way to Cornwall for one day. Suggest you focus on the Cotswolds which might be possible without a car, and then take the train up to Liverpool. Why do you want to see Stonehenge?