We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10-12 Day Trip to England: Itinerary Advice

6 posts
Save Topic
10-12 Day Trip to England: Itinerary Advice

Hello,

I'm planning a trip to England for the end of July/early August. I'm looking at around 10-12 days for budgetary reasons but I'm somewhat flexible about dates as I'm currently living in France. I've previously visited London for four days.

Here's my current draft:

Day 1: Train from Aix-en-Provence to London, arrive 14:00. Stay in London.

Day 2: London. (Including seeing a play at the Globe)

Day 3: Coach from London to Winchester. See Jane Austen's house at Chawton. Stay in Winchester.

Day 4: Train from Winchester to Bath. (Visits to Roman Baths, the Crescent, Assembly Rooms and Fashion museum.)

Day 5: Bath + possible half-trip to Stonehenge/Lacock.

Day 6: Train from Bath to Matlock (Peak District). Haddon Hall near Bakewell. Stay in Matlock.

Day 6: Peak District. Chatsworth.

Day 7: Train from Matlock to Haworth via Keighley. Stay in Haworth.

Day 8: Train from Haworth to York.

Day 9: Train from York to London to Aix-en-Provence. (Travelling day - may need to break this up)

Those are what I consider my "essential sites". I'm considering adding an extra day or two in the following places: Peak District, Yorkshire (especially to see Fountains Abbey) or Cambridge/Norwich. I'm not sure if I can stretch it to three extra days as being high seasons, accommodation is a bit of an obstacle.

Is this itinerary workable? Where would you add an extra day or two out of the ideas I have mentioned above?

Thanks very much in advance for your comments

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,264 reviews
from US$126.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
461 reviews
from US$105.20*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,087 reviews
from US$149.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 reviews
from US$300.60*
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,815 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10-12 Day Trip to England: Itinerary Advice

Without knowing the times of your trains and buses etc it looks like a lot of travel and not a lot of time to enjoy the places you're travelling too. I'd say you're going to have an afternoon in each place at most, just the thought of packing up and moving every day by public transport exhausts me! Check trains and bus times very carefully before committing to a plan!

6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10-12 Day Trip to England: Itinerary Advice

Thanks for your comments. That's sort of what I am afraid of too, that's why I'm wondering where to add a day or two. I'm not worried about spending a few hours on a train, I'm used to travelling long distances, it doesn't bother me, but I do want to have enough time to see each place.

London to Winchester by coach takes about 1hr 35m to 1hr 50m.

Winchester to Bath by train takes about 2hr.

Bath to Matlock takes about 3hr 30m. Hence why I'm thinking of adding an extra day.

Matlock to Haworth will also take 3hr 30m.

Keighley to York takes about 1hr.

York to Cambridge or Norwich takes 3hrs or to London takes 2hrs.

Where might it be best to add the extra day or two?

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,825 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10-12 Day Trip to England: Itinerary Advice

How are you going to get from Winchester to Chawton? It's not that easy. I think you would have to get the train to Alton and then a bus (or just get the train from London to Alton in the first place).

One of the issues you might have is what to do with your luggage. You will be traveling everyday, and will either have to arrive and go straight to your accommodation (using up more time) or sightsee while carrying your luggage. Left luggage lockers rarely exist in the UK due to terrorism. Only major stations have left luggage offices (not two platform places like Winchester).

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 10-12 Day Trip to England: Itinerary Advice

I think that one can take an X64 bus from Winchester bus station to Alton and then walk to Chawton (that is, the Jane Austen House Museum).

…cabre.co.uk/maps/…WI64X64timetable300308.pdf

jane-austens-house-museum.org.uk/visiting/ge…

I know that public transport can be a pain, but I've never owed a car (and I've been living alone in a smallish town in France for two years) so I'm used to it. You have to live by the timetable, that's the way it is.

I appreciate your comments about the luggage. I don't have an answer other than to say I'll only take a small suitcase and try to drop it off at the place I'm staying before sightseeing.

I'm can add two extra days. I'm thinking maybe the Peak District or York because of the distance. Does that sound reasonable or would these days be better spent elsewhere?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10-12 Day Trip to England: Itinerary Advice

I'm not worried about spending a few hours on a train

==========================

But you see, that isn't the reality. You will spend close to half a day packing, checking out, making your way to the station, waiting for the train, taking the train journey, making your way from the station to your hotel, checking in.

As Akkarin says, many hotels won't have check in until later, and not many stations will hold your luggage.

I would cut sights and add days. Getting there is not as much fun as being there.

6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10-12 Day Trip to England: Itinerary Advice

Thank you. I know the length of the train trip is not the whole saga, all my European travel has been done by train. I posted this itinerary as I'm not happy with it yet and was looking for advice as to where it would be most sensible to add the extra days. I posted that it can be a 10-12 day trip and there are only 9 days listed, the last of which is completely train train so it doesn't really count.

Edited: 01 June 2014, 21:11
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,881 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10-12 Day Trip to England: Itinerary Advice

Hi Elizabeth and welcome,

If accommodation costs are stopping you adding extra days then look at Youth Hostels. I have no idea of your age and it doesn't matter as all ages use the hostels.

http://www.yha.org.uk/

Also Norwich is a nice compact city to spend a day or two.

Happy planning

Bob

6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 10-12 Day Trip to England: Itinerary Advice

Thanks for your advice Bob.

Here's a revised itinerary:

Day 1: Train from Aix-en-Provence to London, arrive 14:00. Stay in London.

Day 2: London. (Including seeing a play at the Globe)

Day 3: Day trip to Winchester/Chawton from London. Stay in London.

Day 4: Train from London to Bath. Visits to Roman Baths, the Crescent, Assembly Rooms and Fashion museum.

Day 5: Bath. As above.

Day 6: Train from Bath to Matlock (Peak District). Stay in Matlock or Bakewell.

Day 7: Peak District. Chatsworth.

Day 8: Peak District. Haddon Hall + nearly villages (ex. Buxton)

Day 9: Train from Matlock to Haworth. Stay in Haworth.

Day 10: Haworth to York.

Day 11: York, possible trip to Fountains Abbey.

Day 12: York to Norwich.

Day 13: Norwich to London. London to Aix-en-Provence.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 00:48
9. Re: 10-12 Day Trip to England: Itinerary Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 June 2015, 06:17