We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days out of London??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
4 days out of London??

I have 4 days/nights to spend on my own before I meet my friend in late June. I am a mid 20's female, so not really looking for family orientated destinations. Prefer not to go on a 4 day bus tour. Rather travel to one place and explore on foot and/or half day bus trips. Prefer budget back packer style accommodation so I can meet up with people to share a meal. Grateful for any suggestions.

Thank you

The English Bus
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Cotswolds Guided Tours
Bus Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Cotswold Exploring
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
BOBH - Day Trips from York
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days out of London??

What do you want to see? Cities with trendy nightlife? countryside? Roman remains? Common destinations would be places like Oxford or York, both a train ride from London.

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days out of London??

One suggestion would be to take the train from London to York (less than 2 hours by train) and make this your base although I can't advise about your accommodation choice.

York would be a great base and as the school holidays don't commence until mid July you'll not be overrun by families!

York is a beautiful city with so much to see, and it is compact so you can explore easily on foot. But there are many other places you can explore making York your base. Durham is a short train journey away, or you could head out to the countryside.

Level Contributor
5,983 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days out of London??

I'd suggest you look at availabilty of YHA accommodation http://www.yha.org.uk/ and decide where you want to visit based on that. Assuming it's June this year good budget accommodation is probably already booked in popular locations. Coud try Chester or Liverpool - longish train journey but good places to visit with friendly people

Edited: 03 June 2014, 07:40
4. Re: 4 days out of London??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 06:16