We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with itinerary please

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Need help with itinerary please

Hello! My husband and I will be in London late October and we are planning a 2-day trip outside the city. We would like to visit Bath, Oxford, and Cotswolds (with the intent of using this route: http://www.cotswolds.info/romantic-roads/broadway-to-broadway.shtml). Questions:

1. In which order should we do this trip that would prove to be most efficient? I'd like to point out that we are planning on getting to Oxford as early as we can by train, then renting a car from there.

2. Which would be a good stopping point for us to spend the night?

3. Is a stop in Stratford-upon-Avon feasible with this itinerary? It's not a priority but if it's possible then it's definitely something I'd like to consider.

Any tips, advice, and opinions are very much welcome. Thanks everyone!

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
93 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with itinerary please

In my opinion two days is not enough time to do these locations unless you don't actually plan to stop and look at anything. Walking around the college areas in Oxford and the excellent Ashmolean Museum is a day. Other small villages in the Cotswolds are well worth some time and that before you get to Bath. But if you really only have two days personally I would go Oxford - Burford (classic Cotswold town) - Bourton on the Water (another classic) and as you are heading north straight on to Stratford and Warwick (castle and town) (back down the motorway to Oxford to drop the car and back to London.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with itinerary please

I really wish we have more time but we can only spare 2 full days out of London. I'd be content with just Bath and Cotswolds but my husband is eager to go to Oxford so we compromised! Thanks for your input!

Level Contributor
3,305 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with itinerary please

How would you feel about paying the cost of returning the car to a different location?

Theoretically: early train or coach to Oxford, spend the morning having a whirlwind tour on foot. Pick up the car at lunchtime or after lunch, then do your Cotswolds tour during the afternoon & evening.

Either get to Bath that night & make sure you've got a hotel with parking. Or, stay just outside Bath somewhere in the west of the Cotswolds.

Either way, return the hire car in Bath in the morning (maybe after a little more Cotswolds), enjoy Bath on foot during the day then catch a train back to London.

You won't be able to fit Stratford in, but this way you could get half a day in Oxford and most of the day in Bath.

The point you need to bear in mind is that having a car either in Oxford or Bath is a liability (and can prove very expensive to park!) but very useful for the Cotswolds.

Edit: Have just noticed you're going in October so you'll have less light in the evening. Shame - it makes the Cotswolds bit more difficult. Still just about doable.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 21:28
Level Contributor
3,305 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with itinerary please

Another option, if you're in London for a while, is to do Oxford as a separate day-trip from London.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with itinerary please

We decided to just cut our Amsterdam trip 1 day short so we can have an extra day in England to do everything else. The less light thing in October did cross my mind and definitely factored in our decision. Thanks for the helpful advice!

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with itinerary please

If you have an extra day, I would do:

Day 1 Train to Bath from London - spend full day in Bath

Day 2 - tour from Bath around Cotswolds etc with these people

http://www.madmaxtours.co.uk/

Day 3 train from Bath to Oxford - full day in Oxford

Day 4 - train to London first thing

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with itinerary please

+1 to Pool Lounger's itinerary.

8. Re: Need help with itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 06:15