We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 day itinerary help

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
102 posts
460 reviews
Save Topic
12 day itinerary help

We have 12 days in England excluding travel days. Our main interests are cathedrals, palaces, history, medieval town centers, and the Cottswolds for a day or so. We can skip Stonehenge and Avebury. Can you experts help with itinerary advice? Does this itinerary make sense from a logistics and $$ viewpoint? I'm having the most trouble figuring out the Wells-Bath-Blenheim-Cottswolds portion of the trip. I don't like renting a car out of Heathrow and then letting it sit while in Bath, but it's a lot cheaper than renting the car in Bath and dropping it off in Heathrow, plus it lets us see Windsor on the way to Bath. We also want to minimize hotels moves as much as we can.

Tue, Sept 16 Arrive Heathrow late at night (after 22:00) and stay at hotel on airport grounds

Wed Rent a car at Heathrow and drive to Bath seeing Windsor Castle on the way; overnight Bath and park car in a car parking lot

Thur Tour Bath...do not use car; overnight Bath

Fri Drive to Wells and Glastonbury for the day; return to Bath and spend the night

Sat Drive to Cottswolds (maybe Chipping Campden?) seeing Blenheim on the way; overnight Cottswolds

Sun Tour Cottswolds; overnight Cottswolds

Mon Drive back to London, return car, rent apartment in city center

Tue, Wed, Thur Tour London

Fri Day trip from London (Greenwich? Canterbury?) by train or bus

Sat Train to York

Sun York, then late train to hotel on Heathrow airport grounds

Mon Fly out early Monday morning (9:30)

Our air fare is booked so it can't be changed. Thanks for your advice!

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 day itinerary help

On Friday consider Rochester which is a small town but with a wonderful cathedral and a large Norman castle all within a few minutes of each other. It is on the Canterbury train route so you could move on to Canterbury later if you wish.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 day itinerary help

Personally, I wouldn't spend so much time in the Cotswolds. Very touristy and IMO rather over-rated. Is there any particular reason you want to spend time there? Plenty of other English regions just as charming and not so busy.

3. Re: 12 day itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 February 2016, 17:21
West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 day itinerary help

So pleased you are visiting Yorkshire!

Just checked your dates and there isn't a race meeting that weekend, so you might be OK, but just to say that some York hotels will take a minimum booking of 2 nights at weekends, it is very popular, and for a good reason!

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 day itinerary help

I agree with Loughtonian on this one.

Shropshire, for instance, would be just as good as the Cotswolds for your needs but with less tourists, interesting towns, rolling hills and empty roads. I'd drive through the Cotswolds to say I'd been, but keep going to Ludlow : http://www.ludlow.org.uk

Mike

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
102 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 day itinerary help

I think I see another trip to this part of the world next year. Before reading these responses I was wishing for a couple more days, but now I'm wishing for at least another week or two.

Argyle, I looked at where Shropshire is on the map and it looks like it is a little too far north for our quick trip through this part of the country, at least on this trip. It might fit in to a second trip where we combine Scotland and some other places farther up. So now, do we delay York (as anxious as I am to see it) for the Scotland-north of England trip that I hope we take next year? There's never a guarantee that we'll get to take that trip, so I don't want to miss it altogether. PLJCK, thanks for checking on dates for us. Before we book the London apartment I'll book the one in York to be sure we can get a room for only one night.

Hardygeranium, Rochester is a place I hadn't even considered, but after some research I'm going to try and fit it in. Is it reasonable to stop off in Rochester, then go on to Canterbury and back to London in a day? Or should we focus on either Rochester or Canterbury? And is Greenwich worth trading for either of those? My husband is an engineer and would probably like it, but is it worth giving up Rochester and/or Canterbury? He loves old castles and cathedrals too.

We've changed our itinerary a little. We're thinking now that we'll drive from Heathrow to the Cotswolds (Cheltenham - I know it isn't as "charming" as the some of the other towns but it has fantastic options for staying the night without spending too much, and it's not that far to those other villages) on the first day seeing Windsor on the way. We'll probably be too jet lagged to fit in Blenheim, but we'd tour Cotswolds the next day. Then, we'd backtrack a little to give Blenheim the time it deserves, drive to Bath, and drop off the car. That would give us a full day for Bath and a full day to take the bus to see Wells and Glastonbury. BTW, apparently the drop off charge isn't nearly so high if you pick up in Heathrow and drop off in Bath rather than the other way around.

Thanks for the advice. I would never have considered some of these places if you hadn't mentioned them.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
102 posts
460 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 day itinerary help

All of this provoked some pretty interesting dinner conversation between me and my hubby. We're not willing to give up on York; in fact, I don't think we have enough time for it as it is. So here are our choices:

1) Skip the day trip to Canterbury/Rochester and spend an extra day in York.

2) Skip the Cotswolds altogether. There are big trade offs with this. We give up Blenheim and the Cotswolds. We would gain a full day, but we have to figure out a different way to see Windsor. We'd head straight to Bath from Heathrow and spend that day in Bath. Spend the next day in Wells/Glastonbury, then head back to London. And now I feel like I'm shortchanging Bath.

3) Skip Wells and Glastonbury for an extra day in York.

So, given our interests, do we have enough time allocated for York with our original itinerary (which is probably a total of 24 hours when you exclude travel time)? Or should we rearrange bthe schedule to spend more time in York but exclude something else?

So many places, so little time!

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,945 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 day itinerary help

Windsor's better as a trip from London imo.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,638 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 12 day itinerary help

Love to help,but totally confused now my lovely!

Perhaps post your revised itinerary please?

Just keep YORK in there!!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 12 day itinerary help

So little of London--1 entire day.

Have you seen the city before?

Reminds me very strongly of the Samuel Johnson quote, "tired of London, tired of life."

Not to say it isn't great to get out of the city and see other places, and the countryside (I for one have found a great deal of beauty in the Cotswolds, on many walking and cycling trips).

But to grant London one mere day seems unbalanced.