We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which city is better for a days visit Newcastle or Durham?

Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Topic
Which city is better for a days visit Newcastle or Durham?

Hi guys which city out of these two would you recommend a days visit. In September myself and my girlfriend are getting the train to visit either these city's from Birmingham. Which city is best for historic buildings to visit, nice pubs or restaurants for a lovely dinner and maybe a bit of shopping for my girlfriend. I would love to do both city's but it may to much running around.

England, United...
Level Contributor
9,349 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which city is better for a days visit Newcastle or Durham?

Durham, without a doubt.

Very scenic, beautiful Cathedral and other lovely architecture, picturesque riverside, and a nicer, " small market town" feel, although it's a city!

Some nice independently run restaurants and very friendly people.

Regards

Mondial

2. Re: Which city is better for a days visit Newcastle or Durham?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 18:52
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which city is better for a days visit Newcastle or Durham?

Durham for historic buildings and jaw-dropping beauty. It's small but stunning.

Newcastle for amazing setting, great shopping, clubs, restaurants etc. Much bigger.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which city is better for a days visit Newcastle or Durham?

You can't really compare the two. Durham's obviously much smaller, dominated by the world renowned cathedral, but has plenty of places to eat and shops for its size.

I think you'd be surprised by the architectural splendour of Newcastle - fine Georgian and early Victorian buildings; major shopping area and many dining options.

One's red and white, the other's black and white, but only 10 minutes separates them by train so you could visit both.

5. Re: Which city is better for a days visit Newcastle or Durham?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 22:26
Edited: 25 June 2014, 22:26
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,059 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which city is better for a days visit Newcastle or Durham?

Visit Durham, stay in Newcastle.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which city is better for a days visit Newcastle or Durham?

I would choose Newcastle, for its genuineness, lack of tourists, superb setting on the Tyne, shopping, and Grey's Town.

I like Durham too, but Newcastle gets my vote.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which city is better for a days visit Newcastle or Durham?

Er,

given the posting history and repetition, do you actually travel?

Edited: 25 June 2014, 22:19
9. Re: Which city is better for a days visit Newcastle or Durham?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 07:16