We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money exchange

Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
money exchange

leaving for England in August on tour of England, Ireland & Scotland. I do not plan on exchanging money bofore leaving US but using ATM when arriving at Heathrow to get local currency. Also using ATM in Ireland to get Euros. Has anyone had experience using this method? Exchange rate at local banks seems high. My bank does not charge foreign exchange fees & reimburses for ATM fees so using ATM's seems best choice for me. I will use credit card for purchases if needed but first choice is to pay in cash. Any suggestions from others that have gone this route?

Strawberry Tours - Free Walking Tours London
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
Mayor's Honorary Guides
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,845 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: money exchange

< Has anyone had experience using this method? >

Virtually everyone who travels abroad

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,732 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money exchange

I always use local ATM's for cash and credit cards for meals and most purchases. It's worked fine for me on my trips, which have included treks around New Zealand and across the US as well as Europe.

My advice is to make sure your bank knows you are going away, and not to worry too much about getting the very best deal. The way I look at it is, if I'm paying around £2000 each for a trip, doe sit make much difference if it ends up being £1990, £2000, or £2030 when I add in the currency exchange fees, whatever they are. It's a small amount compared to the overall cost.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,336 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money exchange

Make sure your card has a PIN....you will not get cash from ATMs without it.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money exchange

if you have the option of a chip and pin card it will make life a lot easier, its been the usual method in the UK for more than 5 years now, and I know US cards are often still not recognised by the system. Staff in lots of places can be unfamiliar with the old ways of signing, especialy if they dont have many US visitors, which wont usually be a problem that cant be solved, but will slow down your payments when you wnat to get every bit of time from your trip to use doing good stuff.

Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money exchange

I am all set with notifying banks of my travel destinations & dates. I have pin number for ATM but do not use pin number for credit cards.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,424 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money exchange

Hi gigi,

You will find ATMs on the walls of banks (inside and out) at supermarkets, in fuel stations, on the walls at small minimarkets.

Beware some of the last two charge for their use. It always tells you this fact before you commit yourself to getting money.

Bob

Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money exchange

I have used ATM's when traveling internationally but a friend told me yesterday I should take some Pounds with me as ATM lines at Heathrow are very long. Thinking that shouldn't even be a problem as lines should move quickly. Guess I am just second guessing myself, should just chill & go with my plan.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,424 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: money exchange

Why not change a relatively small amount, say 100$ to Sterling. That will give you the option of getting to your first base with no panic if queues are long at Heathrow. One reason queues are long is that some tourists have not done enough research and are unsure how to use the machine if it does not show their language and no idea how much to get, £10 or £200 ?

Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: money exchange

Thanks for the info, thought the ATM's would be easy to find.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,336 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: money exchange

Most of the ATMs at the airport belong to Travelex..so you may not get a great exchange rate...