We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short stop

Bellevue, Washington
3 posts
Save Topic
Short stop

I have 3 days and no plans. I have a renal car and no direction. What are my must see and do's around the country??

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short stop

Which airport and what time of year?

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,071 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short stop

Is a renal car how kidneys get around? ;-)

We need more info please.

What are your interests?

How many of you?

Where and when are you arriving in England?

With only 3 days you won't get to see much

Bellevue, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Short stop

Heathrow, 2 people, sightseeing/bars/outdoors/sports, Monday to Wednesday next week

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short stop

What time of day are you arriving and leaving? Not clear whether it's closer to one day or three days.

Have you visited London before? If not, the obvious thing is to cancel the car, and spend the time in London, a city where you really do not want to have a car.

On day 1 you will be jet lagged, and shouldn't be driving far, or at all. So you really only have one day travelling before getting back to Heathrow.. Oxford? (you don't want to take a car there either though).. Oxfordshire villages/Cotswolds? Blenheim Palace?

Or if you want to look at countryside in your car you could have a quick look at the South Downs:

http://www.southdowns.gov.uk/enjoying

US visitors often seem to want to visit Stonehenge/Avebury.. you could do that.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 13:28
Bellevue, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Short stop

It's close to 3 full days and I wanted to see as much of the country as possible....maybe even wales??

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short stop

Do you want to get out of the car and do things during this time or just burn fuel and look at roads? Surely it's better to spend less time driving, and more time out of the car doing something interesting.

What do you want to see in Wales? Climb mountains, or something else? Betws-y-coed in N Wales is a good 4-5 hours tiring drive from Heathrow . It's dangerous to do it when you're just of a transatlantic flight and tired.. it'd be a shame to kill yourself, or someone else .. so you'd have to go there on day 2.. and pretty much back on day 2 as well in case there were delays on day 3.. so you don't have time to do that, because there wouldn't be any time to get out of the car when you got there. A train from Heathrow to Betws-y-Coed takes 5 hours. Much safer and better than driving, but a ridiculous amount of time given the length of stay available to you.

The welsh borders. Herefordshire-ish are may 3 hours away. Still seems a long frantic drive for a short trip.

If you wanted to go to south Wales.. Cardiff, say.. then it'd be far better to take a train, not a car (safer, more relaxed, more chance to look at scenery, probably cheaper, probably faster). plus, if you went on the train, you *could* travel safely on the day you land.. giving you as much as 24 hours in Cardiff..(if you have a good reason for going there?).

Can you give a better idea of what sort of thigns you actually want to do?

Edited: 11 July 2014, 14:46
Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short stop

To emphasise.. your plan, such as it is, seems bonkers. You intend going on a very long drive without knowing what you want to do at the other end.. or you haven't really said what you want to do. What times do your flights arrive/depart?

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,641 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short stop

Go down to Dorset for the three days, perfect English countryside, beaches and the New Forest.

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,419 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short stop

I don't know why you are so circumspect with the information you provide but it would seem that you are arriving early on Monday and therefore you'll not only be jet lagged but sleep deprived as well. Renting a car in such a state would be tantamount to a criminal act.

By public transport or taxi I'd spend day 1 in Windsor. After you've seen the Castle you can have a long walk through Windsor Great Park. Day 2 I'd move on to Oxford. After a few hours perhaps pick up a rental car and drive out to a Cotswold village, with pub, for the night. Day 3 continue touring the Cotswolds until it's time to drop your car off at Heathrow.

10. Re: Short stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 04:17