We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day scenic route to London

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
4 day scenic route to London

Hi,

My wife and plan on flying into to England on a Sunday Oct 12, take a scenic route Mon-Thur, and fly out of London on Friday to Paris.

We are mainly outdoor photography people, so we don't need a lot of museums. Off the beaten path would be good.

We were not even going to do England, but some friends talked us into it. So we adjusted our schedule to squeeze it in.

Thanks

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$124.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
436 reviews
from US$103.80*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,066 reviews
from US$147.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$99.60*
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day scenic route to London

Scenic route from where?

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day scenic route to London

Sorry for the ambiguity.

If we can get a flight from Edinburgh to any region, that then would takes 4 scenic days to drive to London, that would be good.

I was having trouble finding flights. I tried the Lake Country, Bristol, Carliss(?), etc. It just has to be AWAY from London, so we can drive toward it, just to get a flight out.

I hope I'm making sense. Since have never been to England, anything will be fresh and new.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,501 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day scenic route to London

<<If we can get a flight from Edinburgh >>

I take it you mean a flight TO Edinburgh. If so, drive through the Borders, Northumberland (Hadrians's Wall) and the Yorkshire Dales before heading south to London. If you want off the beaten path try the Pennines.

england
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day scenic route to London

Fly to Bristol or Exeter, should have no problem finding flights. Forget the tourist route through Cotswolds and Stonehenge and go south to the coast, with a stop at Dartmoor perhaps. Photograph birds at Bowling Green Marsh at high tide rspb.org.uk/reserves/… or the Seaton nature reserves where the birds are closer. The road from Lyme Regis to Weymouth offers good scenery.

What do you want to photograph?

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day scenic route to London

Thanks for the prompt replies. We are going to firm up our plans in the next couple of days

Shooting old buildings, castles, vineyards (in France), ruins, unusual dwellings, lake with big trees rimming them, old trees with good form, and people.

I had a Canon G9 converted to infrared that I will use, along with a Canon 20d, and a Canon s110 for my wife. I can hear the 70d whispering in my ear about its low light performance.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,227 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day scenic route to London

This is quite confusing.

You are arriving somewhere in 'England' - where exactly?

You then want to drive for four days and fly out of 'London' to Paris - which London airport do you mean? And, come to that, why specifically a London airport when you can fly to Paris from many regional airport, or take the Eurostar from central London or Kent?

And where did Edinburgh come into it?

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,235 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day scenic route to London

I think they are flying into a London airport, then want to fly to somewhere else in Great Britain and drive back, but this is only a guess as it is unclear in the OP. Carliss could be Carlisle. But all guesswork.

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 day scenic route to London

Post 2 says they want to fly to (or from?) Edinburgh, so I'm not sure. Maybe they start in Scotland or the north and want to end in London. May well be best to take the train (Eurostar) from central London to central PAris.

Four days isn't a huge time. This may help a bit:

http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/

Look at Northumberland, the Lake District or the Yorkshire Dales towards the north of England. The National Parks have towns and villages, but tight planning controls, so there are plenty of old buildings, with views largely uncontaminated by modern ones.

Look at Lindisfarne, Alnwick castle (google them) in Northumberland.

There are many castles all over the place.. several in N Wales, Warwick (a bit disneyfied), Kenilworth (largely ruined).

Interesting places to visit:

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/

nationaltrust.org.uk/visit/…

http://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/

http://www.castlexplorer.co.uk/

https:/…

Don't forget that England has vineyards too, producing wines that can beat some of France's finest in blind tastings. Eg:

http://www.denbies.co.uk/

Where I live, it looks a bit like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mcouchman/

Edited: 21 July 2014, 09:58
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,356 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 day scenic route to London

< I think they are flying into a London airport, then want to fly to somewhere else in Great Britain and drive back, >

In which case the best option would be to spend a night somewhere like Windsor to recover from the flight, pick up the car, drive for 4 days, drop the car off then fly to Paris from whichever regional airport is closest.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,235 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 day scenic route to London

I think OP has to come back to us over this, we shouldn't have to guess. 'Flying into England 'is a bit too vague, as is the rest of the post.