We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Liverpool

Sagamore Hills, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Gatwick to Liverpool

Hello,

I will be traveling to England for the first time this year. I'm trying as best I can to learn about the public transport (do not have that where I'm from) and I'm wondering what the best way to travel from Gatwick to Liverpool is?

Ideally, would like to be in Liverpool long enough to do a 3 hour tour and some independent site seeing. I realize it's a long ride, that's fine, on a budget as well.

Thank you in advance!

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool

This is a classic "I wouldn't start from here" journey.

A journey starting outside Europe in which getting to Liverpool is essential would arrive at Dublin or Manchester. So why Gatwick?

Sagamore Hills, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, my apologies.

Gatwick is where I am staying. Looking for only a day trip experience if possible, specifically how to travel to/from. Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
9,699 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool

The point that the folks above were making is that it really is not easy or quick to get from Gatwick to Liverpool. Presumably you're working near Gatwick? If you're visiting London, staying at Gatwick is not a good plan....

If you really want to do it, you'd take the FCC train from Gatwick to St Pancras (every fifteen minutes). At St Pancras, walk to Euston, less than ten minutes. (The journey planners always suggest you do this transfer by tube, but it's just as quick to walk). Then the Virgin train from Euston to Liverpool. Overall about four hours each way.

The off peak ticket is £87.90 return, valid on any train out of Euston after 0930, no need to book in advance. (Use any train for the connection from Gatwick up to St Pancras). That fare is flexible, so long as you don't try to leave Euston before 0930. In theory, you might find a slightly cheaper fare by booking two "advance" singles but that ties you to specific trains - no flexibility - and you must book well ahead to get a really cheap fare.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool

Gatwick is where I am staying

======

OK - for how long, and why? Are you on a course or working with limited time off?

I know you said you wanted to be a day tripper but it would help if you could let it be an overnight one because otherwise you wont have any time at all there and it will pretty much be hello goodbye. Perhaps you could go up the night before?

Sagamore Hills, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool

Excellent, thank you!

We're staying in Gatwick on a honeymoon, approximately 2 weeks. Planning the itinerary now and finding it difficult as I've no experience with it what so ever. I knew the transport would not be easy and that's fine - just as long as it can be done without accidentally travelling in the opposite direction :)

It is definitely possible to stay overnight in Liverpool versus traveling for just the day, but long day trips really don't bother us as much as others. I'm more concerned with familiarizing myself with the public transportation systems, if that makes sense.

Thank you again!

London
Level Contributor
9,699 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool

"We're staying in Gatwick on a honeymoon, approximately 2 weeks"

Er - is this fixed? It's a very "unusual" choice of location.....

Sagamore Hills, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool

Why is that? It is fixed - main motivation was the price.

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool

Very romantic lol ;-)

London
Level Contributor
9,699 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool

I simply can't imagine spending two weeks at an airport - especially for a honeymoon. If you're intending to see London whilst you're here, then staying at Gatwick is very much a false economy.

Sagamore Hills, Ohio
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick to Liverpool

Is it a dangerous neighborhood? Please be mindful that this is most definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity for us to travel this far - price is important to us, romantic or not... which is exactly why I'm seeking out ways to make our day trips easier by learning the routes prior to leaving.