We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip UK (13 nights)

Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip UK (13 nights)

Hi;

I'm planning a road trip through UK (England-Scotland and maybe Wales).

It would be great if somebody can give me tips and ideas of how to structure this trip.

I arrive to London on October 10, to pick up my girlfriend that is doing an academic interchange. Will be our first time visiting UK without considering London, city that we already know.

So i have almost 13 nights from October 10 to October 23 when we plan to be back in London and spend 3 days before i leave.

Places that for sure i want to visit are: Edinburgh and York.

We like Castles, historical places. Also one or two important museum

We are a young couple (26 year old) so we are looking to have fun and not to spend a lot, but enought to have a romantic and nice trip

Do you recomend me to rent a car? Or i do the travel through train, buses and low cost planes?

Hope somebody can help in this, all tips would be welcome.

Thanks

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,640 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip UK (13 nights)

To get to York, and Edinburgh, I would recommend you take a train from London. If you want to do a day trip from one of those cities, perhaps investigate renting a car from there.

But driving there and paying to park there will not be the best use of your time.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6,197 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip UK (13 nights)

As LauraRW has said - train to York and Edinburgh would be most practical (read up about "Advance" tickets which are probably on sale now for your dates). Then, if you want you could hire a car and drive south in a series of say two day stops. There are several trip reports linked to this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186216-i15-k727…

that may provide inspiration.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip UK (13 nights)

Look at North Wales

Conwy with its castle.

Easy to get to by car or train from Liverpool which is also a great place to visit

Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip UK (13 nights)

Thanks for your tips.

I'm coming from Chile, so i don't have too much flexibility to choose the days of the trip.

I was reading, and maybe going so far to the north of Scotland (Inverness and Ness) is not a good idea, because there much more places nice to visit and not so far. What do you think about it?

Maybe going to the west (Bath, Wales) or things like that i should include in my itinerary.

What's your opinion about the lake district? Do i have the days for visiting one of the places in the lake district and all the other thing i have planned?

I was thinking in something like this:

10-oct Oxford

11-oct Oxford

12-oct Bath

13-oct Bath

14-oct Bath

15-oct Keswick

16-oct Keswick

17-oct Edinburgh

18-oct Edinburgh

19-oct Edinburgh

20-oct York

21-oct York

22-oct York

23-oct London

24-oct London

25-oct London

26-oct London

Thanks for any advice

england
Level Contributor
5,109 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip UK (13 nights)

if you are under 25 you may want to buy a railcard http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/ if your girlfriend already has one or one of these http://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk/ if she doesn't. Hotels are often cheaper if booked in advance and the premier inn chain has clean, usually comfortable rooms at fair prices.

If you are Dr Who fans look at visiting Cardiff. North Wales has some lovely scenery and castles to visit. Liverpool and Chester are both good places to visit. Your stay will be outside school holidays.

6. Re: Road Trip UK (13 nights)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:16