We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penzance to London - night stop enroute A30 & A303

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Penzance to London - night stop enroute A30 & A303

Hello, me and my mum are doing a road trip from Penzance to London which is approx a 6 hour drive. We would like to drive on the A30 & A330 as we will have already been through Bristol so will be looking to drive an alternate route.

The question I have is we would like to find a town that is a mid way point to stop for the night, a cute village or town, somewhere pretty. Seaside or country-we have no preference. My mum is a big mid sommer murders fan so preferably somewhere quaint.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks Amanda

england
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penzance to London - night stop enroute A30 & A303

no coastal places on that route - you want to get well past Exeter before stopping as the traffic will be terrible later on. You could opt for a longer Coastal route via Dorchester and then either the New Forest or through Salisbury. Day of the week and budget for hotel?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penzance to London - night stop enroute A30 & A303

Two places come to mind. Branscombe is a pretty village on the Devon coast. Masons Arms is a good hotel with good restaurant. Marlborough is an old market town with a wide high street and lots of character. I've only visited so can't recommend a place to stay. Either place adds a small amount of time to the trip. A303 goes by Stonehenge near Salisbury which has a wonderful cathedral.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penzance to London - night stop enroute A30 & A303

Mere is a very pretty village just off the A303. A bit further off the route is the stunning small town of Sherborne

Hampshire
Level Contributor
259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Penzance to London - night stop enroute A30 & A303

Presume you will be taking the M3 to Basingstoke, then the A303 to Honiton and hence the A30 to Penzance. Unfortunately there is nothing directly on that route that will meet your requirements for a one night stop, at least not London side of Exeter, it will mean a slight diversion.

Places then that come to mind and might be suitable are Shaftesbury (Gold Hill and Hovis bread advertisement) Sherborne or Salisbury

england
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penzance to London - night stop enroute A30 & A303

branscombe is far off route in a small village whose narrow roads will slow you up, a very strange recommendation. Sherborne, Shaftesbury or Salisbury I agree are good places to look.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Penzance to London - night stop enroute A30 & A303

I know buzzard, adding 10 miles and about half an hour's drive time to London is a huge detour to get to one of the most charming villages on the south coast. But as it seems to have everything Amanda wants (though being less than halfway) I felt compelled to recommend it.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Penzance to London - night stop enroute A30 & A303

Traffic is only "terrible" on a Friday or Saturday in high season. Once outside school holidays (or outside those days) you will find it remarkably quiet.

8. Re: Penzance to London - night stop enroute A30 & A303

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 11:35
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,367 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Penzance to London - night stop enroute A30 & A303

Hindon.

Superb townlet off A303

10. Re: Penzance to London - night stop enroute A30 & A303

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 06:17