We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Together Rail Card

Barrie, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Two Together Rail Card

Hi All,

My husband and I are travelling to the UK in September. We will be arriving into the UK via ferry at Dover (a request by my husband to see the "white cliffs"), then will be taking the train into London and carrying on eventually to Bath then up to Edinburgh.

I've been researching train tickets, and can get some cheaper fares if we buy in advance, but I would also like to get the two together rail pass. I was hoping someone could answer: do we need the pass BEFORE we purchase our tickets online? Or can we buy the rail pass tickets now and buy the rail pass at the Dover Priory train station? It is not possible to buy the rail pass online in Canada (they won't ship it here).

thanks!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,815 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Together Rail Card

You need the pass to travel, therefore you can buy it on arrival in the UK. But there's no advantage in buying tickets to London in advance as there aren't any cheap tickets on this route

And if going direct from Bath to Edinburgh the best option is flying from Bristol

Edited: 20 August 2014, 23:07
Barrie, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Together Rail Card

Thank you for the response! I have read online that we can purchase train, ferry, train tickets from Paris to London on the day of and that it is the same as advanced. Happy to have you confirm that. (And yes we know that flying or the Chunnel is much faster, but my husband really wants to take the ferry!) We will buy our rail pass when we get to Dover,

We are actually looking forward to the train trip across England to Edinburgh and don't want to fly, but definitely these routes we will need to purchase in advance. I will go ahead and purchase them at the rail pass price and hope we can get the pass in Dover to have on hand when we travel. Thanks again!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Together Rail Card

If you are buying through train tickets from Paris to London the Two Together railcard won't help. Only if you buy separate rail tickets from Dover to London will it be of use to you at that stage of your trip

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Together Rail Card

<<my husband really wants to take the ferry>>

Have a read of this regarding taking the ferry from Calais to Dover

http://www.seat61.com/London-Paris-ferry.htm

Though it describes the route from Dover to Calais it's still applicable. Of particular note is "The journey now involves an awkward bus or taxi transfer or long walk between the city centre rail station and the ferry terminal in both Dover and Calais, so a train-ferry-train journey that took 7 or 8 hours in the 1930s (or for that matter, the 1980s) takes 10 hours today."

Maybe your husband does want to see the White Cliffs, or maybe your time and money would be better spent elsewhere?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Together Rail Card

For the OP's benefit, would anyone be able to comment on the idea of coach from Paris to London? Provided the coach uses the ferry as opposed to the tunnel, perhaps that is the way that the white cliffs could be seen without the need to transfer from train to port at Calais.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two Together Rail Card

<<would anyone be able to comment on the idea of coach from Paris to London?>>

A tiring all day journey with little to recommend it other than price. What if it's raining and blowing a gale and the cliffs barely visible??

As long as you know the journey is a pain…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,364 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two Together Rail Card

Many coaches from Paris to London use the Eurotunnel, so you wouldn't see the white cliffs anyway ....

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two Together Rail Card

"What if it's raining and blowing a gale and the cliffs barely visible??" But that could be true if Calais were reached by train, which still leaves getting to the port from the station, which has already been described as a pain. So, are we suggesting Eurostar from Paris and forget the idea of seeing the white cliffs?

Barrie, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Two Together Rail Card

Thank you so much for all your responses! I actually have been combing through all the info on the themaninseat61 which is how I came up with my original questions. Very helpful if slightly verbose.

As a Canadian couple who frequently drives 18 hours across Ontario to visit family (and still looks forward to the sights of lake superior and wildlife along the way), the journey does not sound that arduous at all. In fact, we are looking forward to a relaxing train ride through the french country-side, a fun ride on a boat across the sea (+/-views of the cliffs pending weather) and then another train trip through the UK. If we get to break that up with a couple long walks then even better (we are fit people!) That being said, it's a trip I'd make once, then look to get back and forth as quick as possible thereafter.

I appreciate all the helpful hints, we will be buying our tickets as we go for this journey, which means we can pick up our rail pass in Dover to get the discount for the dover-london leg. Also means I can go ahead and purchase in advance the rail pass priced tickets for our trips to Bath and Edinburgh.

Safe travels everyone!!

10. Re: Two Together Rail Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:16