We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help - moving to Bristol 8& I don't know it at all

London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
help - moving to Bristol 8& I don't know it at all

Help

I've just potentially landed a job in Bristol - pending credit checks and all that stuff but the only issue is in need to move to the city and I don't know it at all, well just the city centre.

So wheres good to live, wheres not, and I have been looking at short term lets for the time being, so anyone any recommendations?(or who to avoid)

Thank you in advance

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
10,325 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help - moving to Bristol 8& I don't know it at all

Well done for getting your name right before moving to Briz.

Where abouts is the job located ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help - moving to Bristol 8& I don't know it at all

city centre - at least thats OK for transport coming in, as I'm reliant on the public sort.

shoestring-UK
Level Contributor
865 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help - moving to Bristol 8& I don't know it at all

apparently about a third of the people in Bristol have chosen to move here...which says a lot about the place and means the road you are on is well travelled.

I would always start with any local connections you have or can grow. Many employers will have helped staff relocate or at very least have people in their organisation that live locally. There is no real substitute for actually being here...one persons dream home is anothers nightmare. There are serviced appartments that serve short term residents and guest houses that offer longer term rates and there have always been homeowners seeking lodgers to help with the bills. Obviously you don't want to give all your deposit money away while you look for somewhere pemanant but spending some time here has to be a good investment.

I guess having a shoppinjg list would help...friendly neighbours, safe for someone living alone, supermarket in walking/cycling distance, sperate bedroom, OK for pets, broadband/cable availability etc.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help - moving to Bristol 8& I don't know it at all

Hi Georginal

This question does pop up from time to time & there was a similar one very recently, so please have a scout back in the Bristol forum and read the threads. We all pretty much agree on the nicest parts of town but they do come at a premium - a lot depends on your salary & what sort of accomm. you seek. Even if you come for a long weekend beforehand, you'll be able to suss out the immediate areas/districts pretty quickly. The further out you go, the cheaper it gets naturally but then you would have to weigh up how much time you want to spend getting to & from work.... public transport is good here but, in the case of the buses at least, overpriced - and it can be slow going in peak hours due to our traffic chaos. For instance; you can get some cheap rentals in Kingswood or Horfield (just as an example) but the bus ride at peak times can take an age - much quicker to get off & walk, or ride a bike. I swear that people living in certain parts of Bristol & trying to get into the centre could commute to London in the time it takes!

I'd suggest coming down for a few days & having a look round. Download yourself a map, have a look at rentals on the Trade-It & Bristol Evening Post website to see the going rates, & post back if you're unsure about anything. Good Luck :))

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
252 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help - moving to Bristol 8& I don't know it at all

Premium areas:

Sneyd Park (Bs9) (huge houses usually £1M+ but you can rent appartments for top end price range)

Clifton (Bs8) - all victorian very nice houses, hilly area next to the Suspension Bridge/the gorge and Sneyd Park.

Redland (Bs6/Bs7) - Big student area and lots of converted victorian properties, situated in between Whiteladies Rd and Gloucester Rd, excellent transport links into town or you can walk it in about 20mins. Great for accessing restaurants and bars (I know the area well!)

City centre/docks(Bs1/Bs2) - lots of newly purpose built developments, some cheaper than others.

Cheaper but nice:

Bedminster/Southville (BS3) - mixture of converted house and purpose built appartments, some above shops, North Street is a very popular destination for young adults and families, bars that were once dives/old mens drinking clubs are now serving burgers in focaccia with complimentary high chairs!!!

As someone posted above it's all about personal opinion, I like certain areas that someone might hate!

General rough areas:

St Pauls/Montpellier (but plenty of professionals live there and love it as it's very close to City centre and has the annual carnival! - google it!)

Knowle West

Hartcliffe

Southmead

I agree with the idea of visiting the area to get a feel for it, maybe search rightmove.co.uk and get some appointments, even just to look at the areas geographically to your new job?!

Good luck.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help - moving to Bristol 8& I don't know it at all

Ooh Robbo, wouldn't stick Montpelier in with the rough - hence, what they can get away with charging nowadays, but I know what you mean; it borders :) You'll grasp that, Georginal, when you visit; you can literally cross a road & be in different 'area' - Montpelier & St Pauls can spit at each other but the price of rentals can differ a great deal. Same can be said of Bedminster/Southville, which is my neck of the woods. I've lived this end of town for a few years now; the rent for a house with garage equals what I used to pay up in Clifton/Redland for a one bed flat, where I lived for many years. It's not so pretty down here, granted, but I can still walk to & from the centre in 15 minutes or less, so no need for buses.

cardiff
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help - moving to Bristol 8& I don't know it at all

A couple of friends used to live in Bristol.

Generally they enjoyed it, but I must say to heed the advice given above. Some parts of Bristol can be quite daunting, and often they are cheek by jowl with nicer areas. Generally, the area north of the city centre is interesting and vibrant, but do visit it before you move in.

Good luck!

Montpelier, Bristol
Level Contributor
302 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help - moving to Bristol 8& I don't know it at all

To be sure of easy access to the centre (bus service unreliable and expensive, and taxis are a rip-off) I'd stick to the lower end of Gloucester Road - up to Bishopston, as it's around 0.5-1 mile from Broadmead, and is a very vibrant and interesting area, with a mixture of people/ages, and one would soon feel part of the community; and it intersects other areas such as Cotham (huge Georgian properties, now mostly multi-occupied), Montpelier (my district, and the most fascinating with some unique and lovely dwellings), Stokes Croft (aka the People's Republic of SC, a bit of a rough diamond and open-air art gallery), Redland (quite nice student/family suburban area but rather dull) and St Andrews (similar). South of the River has some nice, gentrified Victorian/Edwardian districts, but still feels isolated.

Edited: 17 January 2010, 16:06
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help - moving to Bristol 8& I don't know it at all

Just love how you've picked up on the Bristol accent already Georgina(l)!

Some advice given to my father-in-law when he moved to Bristol in the 70s 'Avoid the Saints' - perhaps not so true these days but worth bearing in mind:

St Pauls

St Agnes

St Werburghs

St Andrews

St Anns

St George

St Phillips

Personally if you're looking at inner city areas I would say that St Pauls isn't as bad as it used to be, I think Easton these days is far worse but I'm sure others would disagree.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help - moving to Bristol 8& I don't know it at all

Yep, I can see that 'avoiding Saints' is a pretty good rule actually ;) That said, I've lived in St George/St Phillips & their only down side was I had to bus to work & the pubs were as rough as ar$eholes . Have friends that live in Werburghs/Andrews; no problem, nice if anything - flats are lovely. Same can be said of St Pauls - lovely buildings:lovely flats but I wouldn't recommend for an out-of-towner, not knowing which particular roads they need to steer clear of, to do it first off. I regularly walk that area with no problem, but I have known people to be mugged of all their possessions in broad daylight :(

If we're talking about very central areas, then I'd sooner advocate St Pauls than Easton; I lived in Easton about 10 yrs ago & used to walk to and from my job in the centre with no incident, but the person I lived with had a different experience/memory. Best avoided, I think.

Get answers to your questions about Bristol