We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from London to Bristol then car rental

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Train from London to Bristol then car rental

Hi,

The two of us would like to visit the Cornwall area, and are thinking of coming down from London by train to Bristol and then renting a car. We would return same car to Bristol before a return flight to the States. Any kindly recommendations on good rental companies? I'm thinking that renting a car at or near Temple Meads would be good, returning it the night before our fairly early morning flight, staying in Bristol for the night, and then catching the bus for the airport in the morning. Does this sound like a feasible plan?

First time in England, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

bristol UK
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from London to Bristol then car rental

If traveling by train in the UK please do book tickets in advance if you can. Advance train tickets are much cheaper (say 75% less) than if you buy it when you turn up, but it will be for a specific train so this may be a problem if a flight is delayed.

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,512 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from London to Bristol then car rental

Hi

You also say "airport", but do you mean you are flying out of Bristol or Heathrow?

Visit www.fgw.co.uk for train prices. Just a thought, but you might find it more convenient to travel a bit further into Devon/Cornwall on your train if you weren't too bothered about visiting Bristol/Bath/Wells.

In terms of car rental companies, it would also be helpful to know what days of the week you plan to pick up/drop off. Not all car hire places stay open after noon on a Saturday for the weekend.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from London to Bristol then car rental

Thanks for responding. Sorry if my text was confusing. We will be in London for three days, then planned to take the train to Bristol. The main reason for renting a car in Bristol would be that we could return the car to Bristol before our flight back to the States. Our tentative plan was to leave London on a Friday.

We hope to rent a car near to the train station or bus to the airport for ease of return. We would then drive to see the sights in Cornwall, the coast looks fabulous from the photos I've seen.

Our return flight to the States is on Monday morning from Bristol at 10:30 am. Thought we could drop the car off the night before and stay someplace near the bus to the airport for that evening, eating dinner in town and maybe

walking around a bit.

That's why I was asking about car rentals in Bristol that might be near the train station.

Thanks in advance for any insights.I'm always amazed at how generous people are in the forums .

Fran M.

Edited: 08 October 2010, 23:53
Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from London to Bristol then car rental

Thanks for the advice!

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from London to Bristol then car rental

You could try Avis or Hertz for car hire. They can arrange fro Pick up at Temple Meads and Drop off at the Airport.

www.avis.co.uk www.hertz.co.uk

You could drop the car in at the airport just before the flight rather than the day before, as there is limited choice near the airport. Perhaps spend the evening before your flight in Wells as this has more to offer. and only a short drive to the airport. You could also spend the last night in Bristol/Clifton as again more facilities.

Sanibel Island...
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from London to Bristol then car rental

Sounds good. I will look into these options. Thanks so much for the advice!

7. Re: Train from London to Bristol then car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2011, 06:20