We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Bristol?

Which Bristol hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Bristol?

We just found out that we will be in Bristol for three weeks beginning this Sat., Oct 15th while my husband is on a job assignment. I will have all day to explore the city and surrounding areas and would like to know what I could do to occupy my time. We are currently booked at the Marriott Royal but I may change that. We are also interested in pubs and restaurants in the area. We haven't decided on whether we will hire a car or use public transportation. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Bristol?

A quick look in "Things to Do" will give a good idea and a "guided walk". SS Great Britain and M Shed are imo "musts". A car in the city could be more of a nuisance than a help, particularly when paying by the day for it. On the other hand at weekends to get out and about I'd recommend hiring a car. Marriott Royal is fine and convenient for the harbour and river. A few interesting pubs mentioned in the "walk".

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Bristol?

...... And if you look back in the Bristol Forum [27th August] you will see quite a few pub recommendations and websites to research provided by TA members provided when we were checking out a weekend in Bristol

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Bristol?

Thanks so much for the great information. Being that we missed the Balloon Festival I didn't check out that posting but there is a lot of wonderful suggestions that we will check out. Looking forward to checking out the pubs!

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Bristol?

HI

Marriott Royal is in a good location and is a good hotel (and I am guessing that your husband's firm has a list of preferred suppliers so I would probably keep the reservation).

I would second the view that it is best to just have a car at weekends, if at all. I would see how you get on with public transport (Bristolians are a friendly bunch and will try to help if you get stuck).

Transport

Bristol Temple Meads is the central train station. It should take about 15 minutes to walk there (or jump on a number 8 or 9 bus from outside the Bristol Hippodrome). Easy day trips from Bristol by train would be:

- Bath (15-20 minute journey)

- Cheltenham (about an hour)

- Birmingham

- Cardiff (about an hour)

-Salisbury (just over an hour - there is a shuttle bus from the station to Stonehenge)

places like Oxford are do-able, but a bit trickier.

go to www.fgw.co.uk (local train company) to look at travel times and prices.

By bus, I would consider heading down to spend the day in Wells and/or Glastonbury.

I am not sure if there are any tour companies in Bristol, but a firm like Mad Max can take you to Stonehenge/Lacock or the Cotswolds from Bath. Autumn is just kicking in so the countryside will be really pretty.

So, there will be plenty to keep you busy. You could also consider booking yourself on a one-day course (cookery/photography/art) if you fancied a bit of company during the day.

shoestring-UK
Level Contributor
826 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Bristol?

I put a guide for a walk around the central area in the things to do section.

The marriot royal is in an excellent location and although it is one of the more expensive hotels it is one of the best.

Definitely check out the M Shed for a better understanding of Bristol... it will get you grounded and its free... you can see it from the back of the Marriot Royal only 5 mins walk over a couple of bridges.

Public transport is fairly good and the ray rider ticket £4 round Bristol all day or First South West £7 for the whole of the region are good value.

Some day trips would be good... Bath is easy to get to and fantastic to walk around or go on an open top bus tour. Glastonbury/Wells make a great day out and Weston Super Mare if you fancy the seaside.

Bristol has some great alternative culture stuff going on especially around Stokes Croft... or you might prefer the Posh end of town up in Clifton Village and onto the Downs.

We have a world class zoo in Clifton and Noah's Ark Zoo Farm gives an excellent opportunity to get up close to some amazing creatures, both an easy bus ride from town.

Check out the harbourside... you could do some amazing walks but the ferryboats and tours might offer you more insight. There are a couple of guided walking tours... if you want a bit of history.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Bristol?

Wow, I really appreciate all the wonderful recommendations. I'm sure I won't have trouble finding activities to occupy my time.My husband's boss will also be there for the first two weeks so hopefully I can help show him the sights of Bristol in their down time. We have had the opportunity to spend a limited time in London, Cambridge and Whitby. Can't wait to return to the UK! Thanks again for the great info.

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Bristol?

Bristol is a great city. Can't add much to the above, but if you're into the arts there are a couple of waterfront venues: Watershed and the Arnolfini. The waterfront is really nice to wander round generally. Cheddar Gorge is a well-known beauty spot not far from Bristol (not sure about getting there by public transport). As you can see from the replies, Bristol is very well placed for visiting many of the West of England's most famous sights!

Regards,

Vicky

http://postcards-pfte.blogspot.com/

Celebrating the Great British Coastline

Hereford, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for Bristol?

Graze restaurant just off the centre opposite Thai edge (along from sainsburys and subway) is really great! goldbrick House on Park Street is nice too!

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for Bristol?

I like dinner at the Avon Gorge Hotel in Clifton. Book a table where you can look out over the Clifton Suspension Bridge. As well as the Sokes Croft area if you continue northwards you come to Gloucester Road area (a mile or so further on) an area with a number of independent retailers and cafes. When I was there I picked up a leaflet from the Tourist Information Centre (at the harbourside) of an 18 mile self guided walking tour of Bristol, including the Suspension Bridge, Downs, Blaise Castle estate and Clifton, to name but a few sights.

10. Re: Suggestions for Bristol?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 20:15