We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

desperate for help from people in the Bristol area

Darwen(not...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
desperate for help from people in the Bristol area

Hiya Dudes,

long time lurker/leecher after some advice about what to do on a long weekend in Bristol/Bath area

To cut a long story short, me and the missus are booked into the Holiday Inn Express, Bristol North, UK on Friday4th until Sunday 6th May. We were supposed to be going to watch Badminton horse trials ( wife's idea - not mine !!).

The horsey show has been cancelled due to a spot of rain - you should come and live up North - then you would know what rain is - 300 days of the year !!

We cannot cancel the hotel (non-refundable booking etc...) so unfortunately you Southern softies are going to have to put up with us for a weekend !!

Has anybody got any ideas what we can do to entertain ourselves for the weekend ( sex is out of the question- we've been married for ten years!!)

Are there any concerts/ gigs on nearby - the best I've come up with is a day trip to Clevedon Pier !!

I'm getting desperate now, anybody got any ideas on how to keep "her indoors" occupied ( shopping does not count !!)

Yours hopefully/desperately

Gazupnorth

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,386 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: desperate for help from people in the Bristol area

Quite a lot to do.

http://visitbristol.co.uk/events

and

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186220-Activi…

and

virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/United_King…

I enjoyed a boat trip on the river to the sea (weather permiting) and there was a bar on board.

shoestring-UK
Level Contributor
854 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: desperate for help from people in the Bristol area

Deepest sympathy... so let's make the best of it.

M Shed on the Bristol Floating Harbour is a great way for you to get a quick overview of Bristol and its free.... parking nearby isn't so you could catch the 70 into town from the bus stops outside McDonalds just across from your hotel... even buy a couple of day rider tickets and use the buses all day. Once you are in the central area there are loads of things to do, places to eat , stuff to see, even in the rain heaven forbid. There is always something on at the Hippodrome, Colston Hall or the Old Vic and we have a couple of comedy venues and a dozen live music pubs, clubs and venues. A water taxi around the floating harbour is always nice and it gets you to places you probably wouldn't see otherwise. There is a lively 'alternative' scene in and around Stokes Croft which is covered in street art, a couple of notable micro brewery/pub places and lots of Cider and real ale places too. You have to try a pasty... great on a cold damp day. You might like ZaZa Bazaar or Cosmos eat all you want buffet restaurants... a couple of hours to try stuff from all over the world, an experience for sure. If the weather turns brighter the bluebells are out and there are some amazing woodland walks.

Someone far more wise than I once said... there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.

Darwen(not...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: desperate for help from people in the Bristol area

thanks guys for the useful info, getting quite excited about our trip now.

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,842 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: desperate for help from people in the Bristol area

Are you travelling by car or train/ coach ?

Edited: 01 May 2012, 09:24
Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: desperate for help from people in the Bristol area

Cheddar Gorge and the caves? Doesn't matter what the weather is when you're in a show cave...

Darwen(not...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: desperate for help from people in the Bristol area

In response to Romancitizen - we are coming down by car.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: desperate for help from people in the Bristol area

Sorry to hear about the event being cancelled but there is always lots of in Bristol!

You could take a walk around Ashton Court, although amazing in the summer months is still a great place to visit for a leisurely walk with views of Bristol. You could then head over to the Clifton Suspension Bridge http://www.cliftonbridge.org.uk/links which is right next to Clifton, which is a wonderful area, with lots of little cafes and bars to enjoy good food. Try the Mall pub (& great food), Albion (pub & food) and Arch House Deli. Then maybe wonder down to The Natural History and Art Museum where there are lots of restaurants like Browns & The Square. Walking down from here is Park Street with more small shops and coffee stops. This will take you down to Harbourside where the Arnolfini and M Shed are situated and nearby is Brunels SS Great Britain.

So lots and lots to do, enjoy your stay!

Darwen(not...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: desperate for help from people in the Bristol area

thanks Anika for the info.

Is it a good idea to leave the car outside the City centre and get public transport into the City - do they have a park and ride scheme ??

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: desperate for help from people in the Bristol area

The horsey show has been cancelled due to a spot of rain - you should come and live up North

=============

I used to live near Bristol so that comment made me smile so I went and looked it up.

Annual rainfall; Blackburn 710mm, Bristol 850mm.

Edited: 02 May 2012, 17:26
Darwen(not...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: desperate for help from people in the Bristol area

I didn't think that it rained anywhere more than here.

Must be that rain-cloud constantly following me around !!!