We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best are of city to stay in for pubs?

Which Bristol hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Co. Mayo
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Best are of city to stay in for pubs?

Meeting up with a couple of old mates for a couple of days. Probably end up in a pub crawl so whats the best are of the city to book accommodation in? We're all 40 somethings

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best are of city to stay in for pubs?

I always like Clifton as a base, there are lots of pubs and eateries up there and a really nice atmosphere too. The harbourside area is also supposed to be good for pubbing I understand.

london
Level Contributor
413 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best are of city to stay in for pubs?

harbourside

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best are of city to stay in for pubs?

Mercure Bristol Brigstow

Raddison Blu

Ibis City Centre

Marriot College Green

Thistle hotel on Corn street

These are the closest the the habourside

There are also apartments you can rent out called Saco which are in the city centre and a nice hotel alternative.

Bristol, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best are of city to stay in for pubs?

Try looking in the Clifton Area- Clifton Village is beautiful, lots of great places to drink and lots of hotels in the area. See Christabll12's list above or try Clifton Hotels.

http://www.cliftonhotels.com/bristolhotels/

West Harptree...
Level Contributor
980 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best are of city to stay in for pubs?

Avoid Corn Street at weekends.....that is unless you want a fight! There are some interesting pubs but it get's a little wild at weekends.

Otherwise, some nice pubs near the harbourside and Old Vic, some very old with lots of history, eg Landogertrow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llandoger_Trow

My daughter (late 20's) lives in Southville and rates the pub scene there. You also have the Hen and Chicken which is a good comedy club.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,767 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best are of city to stay in for pubs?

I'd suggest checking out the pubs around the Welsh Back, Baldwin Street and Victoria Street area.

Plenty of decent pubs for 40 somethings there such as the Old Duke, Llandogger Trow and King William on King Street, which leads onto Welsh Back where you'll find the Apple cider pub.

On Baldwin Street is the Old Fish Market, and if you cross the bridge over to Victoria Street you'll find the Seven Stars on Thomas Lane, and further down on Victoria Street is the Shakespeare, Kings Head an the Cornubia tucked away behind the back of the fore station on Temple Street.

Further down opposite the entrance to Temple Meads station is the Reckless Engineer and the Knights Templar (Wetherspoons) at the back of the railway station.

Plenty of hotels in this area too such as Ibis, Travelodge, Holiday Inn, Novotel etc.

Bristol city centre is very compact so you're not far away from the pubs and bars up Park Street which leads to Clifton.

I'd also recommend the White Lion which is close to the Hippdrome: www.wickwarbrewing.co.uk/index.php…

And also the Colston Yard which is worth seeking out:

http://www.colstonyard.butcombe.com/

Edited: 30 November 2012, 11:23
Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,767 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best are of city to stay in for pubs?

P.S. That should read "fire station on Temple Street" not "fore station on Temple Street"

shoestring-UK
Level Contributor
839 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best are of city to stay in for pubs?

Walking distance from the city centre/harboursdie would be best. The area around St Nicholas market. Corn Street. Baldwin Street and King Street offers everything you could ever want... and special places of interest like boat based restaurant/pubs and live music/entertainment venues too. Old Market and Stokes Croft have an 'alternative' scene and the Harbourside itself has bigger clubs and restaurants.

But please take some of your time here to get out and see some of the city too. Maybe a water ferry ride and a trip to M' Shed to ease your hungover selves back into the world.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,767 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best are of city to stay in for pubs?

I'm excited now me lover because this time tomorrow night I be hitting the pubs of gert lush Brizzle city centre ! ;-p

Hopefully celebrating Bath City beating Eastbourne *cough* !

10. Re: Best are of city to stay in for pubs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2013, 10:15