We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Bristol and around without a car ?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
257 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
A week in Bristol and around without a car ?

Hello,

We are a french family (children 3 and 5) planning a one week vacation in Bristol in october / november. We would like to visit the city and also go to Cardiff and Bath and may be a few other places. Is it better to changes locations or can we use Bristol as a base and visit the other cities as day trip ? Is it possible to visit a little bit of countryside and to make a a trip to Cheddar gorge without a car or do we need to rent one ?

Thanks for your help.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A week in Bristol and around without a car ?

Bristol is well connected by train and you could have several day trips with no need to change location. As well as Bath and Cardiff, you can get direct trains to the cathedral cities of Exeter and Salisbury, and of course London.

I'm sure there are buses that would get you to other interesting places although I don't have any information.

A car is probably best to get into the country, but one possibility is to get a train to Taunton then a bus from the station to the beautiful medieval village of Dunster, passing through some lovely countryside en route.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A week in Bristol and around without a car ?

I'm sure you can find a bus company that does tours to Cheddar Gorge from Bristol. Whenever I go up the Gorge, the place is full of coaches.

shoestring-UK
Level Contributor
877 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A week in Bristol and around without a car ?

We complain a lot about our buses but actually a day rider family ticket is great value and the First South West ticket can take you much further into the countryside... certainly to Glastonbury, Wells and Street. The train make short work of a trip to Bath or Cardiff. Of course a car can take you places in a shorter time and with two little ones you might prefer having all you stuff to hand. Central Bristol is easy walking and lots to do and there are green spaces everywhere. .

Paris, France
Level Contributor
257 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A week in Bristol and around without a car ?

Woooo, thank you very much for your interesting answers ! Very useful details in order to plan this october trip. Thanks again, may be I'll have some more questions later.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A week in Bristol and around without a car ?

See this site for information about regular buses to Cheddar and other places: firstgroup.com/ukbus/…from_bristol.php

Be sure to visit the lovely little city of Wells with its beautiful cathedral.

6. Re: A week in Bristol and around without a car ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Bristol