We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aggressive touts face ASBOs for 'harassing tourists'

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,428 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Aggressive touts face ASBOs for 'harassing tourists'

www.24dash.com/news/2/20627/index.htm

Touts selling punting trips in Cambridge are being threatened with Anti-social Behaviour Orders if they "harass" tourists.

Cambridge City Council said it is receiving increasing numbers of complaints about "aggressive" punt touts bugging tourists.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aggressive touts face ASBOs for 'harassing tourists'

I don't really approve of ASBOs but as a Cambridge native the touts do get on my wick. Still feels like a sledgehammer/nut interface to me to go down this route though

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aggressive touts face ASBOs for 'harassing tourists'

Good grief. They ARE quite annoying, I suppose. Particularly on Magdalene Bridge. And when you're walking past them carrying a folder full of lecture notes in one hand and two sainsbury's bags in the other, you'd think it should be pretty obvious that no, you don't want to go on a punting trip, thanks.

But an ASBO? They're not THAT bad. They get in your way a bit, but I've never seen them really harrassing anyone - they ask everyone who walks past if they want to go punting but generally if people say no firmly enough they leave them alone! Somehow I think there are more important things to think about. But hey, I suppose if threatening them with an ASBO makes them more likely to get out of my way when I'm legging it over the bridge to get to a class in time, I'm not complaining :D

3. Re: Aggressive touts face ASBOs for 'harassing tourists'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 14:22