We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Around Cambridge

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
1,973 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Around Cambridge

Any places you suggest are within short distance from Cambridge I can visit between 5 - 10 pm using public transport?

Thanks

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Around Cambridge

Between 5pm and 10pm? Hmm, not an absolutely ideal time... When will you be there? Ely springs to mind - in summer the cathedral is open until 7pm, but do you mean you can't leave Cambridge before 5? Once you've got to Ely it wouldn't give you much time to see the cathedral really. (train times on www.nationalrail.co.uk if you fancy it)

Again, if it's summer, you could walk to Grantchester. Depending on when exactly you'll be there, it will be light until quite late - it's a nice walk by the river by Grantchester Meadows (or you could hire a bicycle!)

I can't think of anything else at the moment...

usa
Level Contributor
1,973 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Around Cambridge

Hi Vicki2005

Thanks for the suggestion! Ya, wont be able to leave till atleast 5....so will hang around Cambridge itself I guess.

Will be there June end

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Around Cambridge

Well at the end of June at least you'll get the most hours of daylight. Actual sunset is probably close to 9.30pm at that time of year. So you could definitely take a walk to Grantchester, just to have a look around and maybe a drink or two and a meal in a pub. I'm not sure if it's worth trying to see Ely Cathedral... it depends on where you'll be for work. If you can get to the station reasonably quickly you could be at the cathedral before 6 so you'd still have an hour to look round and then you could get some food in Ely before coming back to Cambridge...

usa
Level Contributor
1,973 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Around Cambridge

Thanks Vicki2005! Will keep the Ely cathedral on my mind :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Around Cambridge

G to Grantchester......and have a pint or three in the Blue Ball ;-)

6. Re: Around Cambridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 19:16
Get answers to your questions about Cambridge