We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around town at night

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Walking around town at night

Is it safe to walk around at night (8/9 pm)? Hows the area around Parkers piece?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking around town at night

Definitely safe at 8/9pm. No probs. I wouldn't walk across Parkers Piece itself at night after dark, but you said you'd be there at the end of June, right? So 8 / 9 pm then is fine, whereas it might not be so great in winter (just because the lighting situation isn't too good). Cambridge is a pretty safe city, really. I mean... don't be complacent or whatever but on the whole it's fine. Not sure exactly when you'll be there - if it's the last week in June then most of the undergraduates will have left so it might be reasonably quiet (comparatively, anyway!). If it's the week before you could find yourself witnessing some drunken shenanigans as it's "May Week" (yes, even though it's in June, that's what it's called) - which is when all the undergrads celebrate the end of exams, there are balls and events and garden parties, etc. So there'll be LOTS of people around in the evenings.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking around town at night

Btw, the "Cambridge is pretty safe" was referring mostly to the town centre and immediate surroundings. There are bits of the outskirts that don't feel quite as safe. But I'm guessing you aren't planning to venture much outside the town centre. The only bit that ever feels a little bit less than safe is some areas around the Grafton Centre, but even then, 8 / 9 pm in summer would still be fine.

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking around town at night

I will be mostly around Regent St

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking around town at night

Regent Street's fine. I suppose if it got to 11pm / midnight / any later than that and it was out of term time on a weekday then it might be a bit on the quiet side, but at the time you're talking about you'll have no problem whatsoever. It's basically between the centre of town and the station so there are usually people about. I live at the opposite end of town so I don't really know it so well in terms of what pubs and restaurants are nice round there...

By the way, just a thought - you'll be near Downing College and I've never known them to actually close their gates until much later at night so I don't think there's anything to stop you wandering in and having a quick look round. Downing isn't one of the very old ones and it's not huge, but it is quite pretty.

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking around town at night

Thanks! Will keep it in mind!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking around town at night

It's all very safe as far as cities go, no risk of trouble anywhere in the centre unless you go looking for it. I wouldn't have any qualms (OK, I am a bloke, but even so) walking across Parker's Piece at any time. There's a light in the middle of it and it's opposite the police station anyway

Ironically, Regent Street is about the worst street in town for drunkeness (with concurrent increase in risk of fights) n account of the preponderance of vertical drinking establishments there. I'd give the Regal, Rat & Parrot etc a wide berth if I were you. There are *tons* of nicer places to drink anyway

It won't be quiet, not in June, it's busy all the time in summer. Contrary to Vicki's experience (but then she is a "gown" person ;-) ) there is a city that exists outside the university and whether the Uni undergrads are there or not makes 0 difference to the liveliness of the place. Most of the Uni events take place in colleges anyway so when the students go down it makes very little discernible difference to the city. I have established this on a 20+ year drinking career so feel confident of my opinion :D

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking around town at night

Thanks for the info pintpot!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking around town at night

Pintpot, I may be a "gown" person but I'm here all year round (nope, I'm not just here during term) so I *do* see the difference between termtime and out of termtime, and in the city centre, it IS quieter in the evenings on weeknights outside of term. Doesn't make any difference at weekends but I really really notice it if I'm walking home out of term time after going out to the pub on a weekday - there are significantly fewer people out and about. I live "up the hill" - during term time even at midnight I see quite a few people around. Out of term time it's pretty quiet after 10 ish. And out of termtime you can actually move in Sainsbury's...!

And although most university events go on in colleges, if you're here during May Week, you WILL see the "effects"....

Sorry, but I get really p-ed off with people who assume that just because I'm "only a student" here I have no experience of the town. I've lived here 7 years.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking around town at night

Incidentally, re Parkers Piece - my friend who's a policeman reckons it's not a good idea for a woman on her own to walk across it at night because there HAS been trouble there. No doubt if you're a bloke you feel safer... and in any case like I said I can't see 8 / 9 pm being a problem for anyone.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking around town at night

<<< "up the hill" >>>

Last time I was in Cambridge the highest hill I saw was a molehill!!!