We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Migrating To Cambridge

Singapore
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Topic
Migrating To Cambridge

Hi,

I would be migrating to Cambridge soon and am in the process of setting up a bank account. Could you pls recommend a popular bank with the most number of ATM branches and bank branches in cambridge?

Thank you

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Migrating To Cambridge

All the banks share ATM networks, including ones that dont even have branches such as the internet only ones, so it really doesn't matter re ATMs. For branches, well all the main ones will be similar you can search using places like smile

http://www.smilelocal.com/search.php?search-type=what&search=banks+and+building+societies&where=Cambridge

However, I think that you will find as a foreigner (I presume?) a *lot* more difficult than you imagine to open an account, due to the hoops banks make you jump through with regard to ID, and you may need help from your employer, for example with them 'recommending you' to whatever bank the company uses.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Migrating To Cambridge

I would say Barclays probably has the most branches of any bank in Cambridge, at least in the city centre. ATMs don't really matter as you can usually use any ATM to draw money out of any bank account, as long as you have a card that works!

As the previous poster said, sometimes setting up a bank account here if you're not a UK citizen can be a bit... interesting. Some banks charge a monthly fee for non-UK citizens to have a bank account, and with others it can be difficult to get a chequebook and / or Visa debit card, etc. And there's probably a minimum balance that you'll have to have to be allowed to open an account. Basically it's worth having a look around to see where you can get the best deal. I know quite a few people in Cambridge who aren't UK citizens and who've opened bank accounts with various teething problems... a few people have said that the Royal Bank of Scotland are very easy to deal with and offer quite a good deal for international students, but there's only one branch in central Cambridge.

3. Re: Migrating To Cambridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 06:25
Get answers to your questions about Cambridge