We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hen Night In Cambridge

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hen Night In Cambridge

Hiya

Im organising my Best friends Hen night in Cambridge im looking to ask what club would be the best to go to for about 8 girls on a sat night who just want some cheesy disco music and a big club. None of us like house music or anything we just want to have fun and dont care if its cheesy. Just dont want to end up somewhere we cant sing along. We are all pushing 30 so want somewhere with similar age groups.

Thanks so much x

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hen Night In Cambridge

Hmm... I don't know. If you're talking *really* cheesy and pretty tacky, then Ballare might fit the bill! It's not particularly classy, but they usually play suitably cheesy pop songs... Got to be honest, it's not somewhere I would usually go myself, but then again, on a hen night it might be a good laugh!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
8 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hen Night In Cambridge

well i was thinking more like a club with say a few rooms with different music in each or something. We dont normally do cheese but for hen night u cant beat it really. something fun but not really tacky i would say. xx

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
193 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hen Night In Cambridge

Cambridge is quite a small city and doesn't really have many clubs, especially not ones with different rooms!

Ballare will probably fit the bill although I would expect the average age on a Saturday night to be about 20. It's not very big but if I were on a hen night I'd be happy to go there and I don't really like clubs.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hen Night In Cambridge

Is Ballare the "new" name for what used to be the Roxy, and years ago Cinderella's??

If it hasn't changed much (which I suspect) it may be a bit young for you

Life is very 30-ish and very cheesy. The Fez just across the road and down the passage much better but queues can be a pain in the backside.

La Raza is an excellent place for early doors - good tapas food, book a table and then you're already in when it turns into (quite a cool) bar with DJs

All of the above three are very close to each other near the market square. None of them are big though, Ballare is bigger but stil not what you might be used to. The only place of any real size is the junction but that's miles out of town near the station

Cambridge is a bit rubbish for clubs tho' - the pub and bar scene is much better. For early bars in nice weather, head to the Quayside up on Bridge St, where there's a collection of them by the river. From your description it sounds more your scene than the "vertical drinking establishments" at the other end of town on Regent St

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hen Night In Cambridge

Yep, Ballare is the same place as Cindy's, which was also Fifth Avenue for a while.. And yeah, it's probably mostly a bit younger than the OP's age group. Bit stuck for other ideas of clubs in Cam though!

Life is no more (how depressing ;)) - it's called Club 22 now, and may or may not still be open - it was shut for a while for refurbishment, haven't seen if it's open again yet. If it is it's not a bad thought, though - gloriously cheesy, that one!

Fez is ace (queue v annoying though, true) - didn't think it sounded like quite what they were after though. Guess it depends on the night, but the music's often not particularly 'cheesy'.

But yes, basically Cam's nice for bars, not so great for the sort of clubs you're after...:S

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hen Night In Cambridge

I'm trying to think of what Ballare/Cindys/Roxy/whatever was called in the 80s....

...and have just remembered! It was called "Ronelle's Discotheque". Awful place, but at the time it was the only club in town, this was before even Route 66 (I think that is long gone)

Mind you, these were also the days of the old Eagle, which used to be a gloriously grubby hole and not the tourist trap it now is. And Northern Soul nights in the Still & Sugar Loaf (closed down after a massive fight between squaddies and locals, and never re-opened)

Much has changed. But the Champion of the Thames is still the same.

Not that I'm showing me age or anything too much....

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hen Night In Cambridge

Route 66 = Kambar, or so I'm told. On... meh, can't remember what the road's called now. The Guildhall end of Benet St... does that sound right for where you thought Route 66 was?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
193 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hen Night In Cambridge

B Bar tucked round down a side street is a good place for a girls night out (Market Passage). That's where I would choose to go because they play music so you can have a wee dance if you want.

I like All Bar One too because the crowd is usually older than other places (mid-late 20s) but they don't have a late licence and are pretty quick to kick you out!

9. Re: Hen Night In Cambridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 18:21
Get answers to your questions about Cambridge