We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Greetings,

My husband and I from the US will be visiting our daughter who is a student at Cambridge in April during her spring break for a few days. We'd like to see Cambridge but I also would like to see and photograph birds. I've been told the Welney WWT is a good destination as is the Norfolk Coast, but I don't know where along the Norfolk Coast. Also, I'm a bit stunned by how expensive the hotels in Cambridge are, and I'm wondering what towns close to the birding areas might be more affordable for a couple days as well as interesting scenically or historically, since two out of the three of us aren't as keen on the birds as am I. Would appreciate any input.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Hi,

Try this: menzieshotels.co.uk/hotels/cambridge-hotels/…

Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Thanks again for all the information. I've made a flexible booking at a Cambridge Premier Inn.

As far as places out from Cambridge, there are so many enticing places but not enough time. I truly appreciate all the specific suggestions.

As far as going to a coast, which is likely to be birdier (with birds close enough to photograph), more scenic/charming, or with less rain in mid-April - Norfolk or Suffolk? I assume we would make stops to explore along the way to either, for example Ely or Bury St Edmunds.

Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Thanks for the suggestion jdtaylor: Menzies not available for our dates.

Edited: 01 March 2012, 21:31
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Ely is nice and 15 minutes by train. Bury is an hour or so by bus but far more central than the train station for drop off. Both are nice places with there being abbey gate Garderns in bury and nothing like it apart from the river in Ely.

Edited: 01 March 2012, 21:39
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

jd taylor

The original poster stares they plan to have a car., why get a train to Ely and a bus to Bury ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

I think the Suffolk coast is probably a bit more charming in Spring - if the gorse is in flower on Dunwich Heath (next to Minsmere) it's stunning.

Also lots of pretty villages and attractive towns (Southwold, Walberswick, Dunwich for history, Aldeburgh, Orford). Possibly *marginally* less windswept than Norfolk, but there's not a lot in it

Most of the feel will come from whatever the weather is happening to be doing, and that can't be predicted. Neither is there any climatic difference between the two areas. Might be sunny in Norfolk, grey and cold in Suffolk or the other way round, you can't tell

Bury St Eds is lovely, well worth a visit especially on a Saturday when the town comes alive with the market

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

Sorry my mistake, both are say an hour by car or do depending on traffic and route. I just mentioned the train as its far faster to Ely by that than car or train. Also with the car parking in bury sometimes busy and expensive it could save money by bus.

Level Contributor
15 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

I like the idea of not having to plan and book everything in advance but playing it by ear, so to speak, depending on the weather. Is it reasonable to assume that either the Norfolk or Suffolk areas of interest would not be so busy that accommodations would be hard to find (around or just after Easter)? Also, generally do B&Bs take credit cards?

And thanks again, I appreciate all the thoughtful input.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

The credit card situation will depend on individual cases but it's becoming expensive for people to offer these faculties such as smaller b&b's etc but larger hotels should be ok.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Cambridge, Norfolk and birds

< Is it reasonable to assume that either the Norfolk or Suffolk areas of interest would not be so busy that accommodations would be hard to find (around or just after Easter)>

If the good weather we have been having continues, then it may be more difficult to find accommodation around Easter as families take advantage of a few days away. School holidays are 31st March to 15th April.

As jd says, with the decline in the use of cheques means some smaller b&bs will only take cash.

Get answers to your questions about Cambridge