We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight parking near the park and ride?

Framlingham, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight parking near the park and ride?

Hiya!

My partner and I are going to Cambridge for the weekend on the 17th. We're staying at the DoubleTree, but don't really want to pay the extortionate parking charges! I'd happily use the Park and Ride but it says that there is no overnight parking at any of them!

Is there anywhere near any of the park and ride sites that we can park the car (free or cheap) from the friday until sunday?

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
8,112 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight parking near the park and ride?

I think you are basically looking at finding spaces in residential side roads that have no yellow lines in place. There's no car parks that I can think of that meet the criteria.

Cambs
Level Contributor
628 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight parking near the park and ride?

Try Googling for groups such as Parkatmyhouse for rental of space on someone's drive. Otherwise, as stated above, you'll have to park on a residential road beyond the area of parking restrictions.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,682 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight parking near the park and ride?

>>> don't really want to pay the extortionate parking charges <<<

That's Cambridge for you, unfortunately; a historic City Centre that wasn't designed for the motor age.

The alternative would be to drive to a railway station or somewhere with a bus connection into Cambridge and travel in by public transport.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight parking near the park and ride?

Plenty of free parking in Clerk Maxwell Rd opposite Madingley Road park and ride ...approx 200metres townside

Framlingham, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight parking near the park and ride?

Thankyou for all your responses!

Can anyone think of anywhere suitable to park near the Newmarket Road park and ride? A random side street is fine and great :)

Also a railway station or somewhere with a decent bus connection to Cambridge would also be absolutely fine, any suggestions as to where to go from?

I'm all for keeping vehicles out of picturesque centers as long as there are good alternatives, which Cambridge seems to have plenty of for day visitors but not so great for overnighters unfortunately!

I had tried the parkatmyhouse place and the most ideal one were already booked, as were the next two I tried. I have contacted another two though and am awaiting responses!

Edited: 08 August 2012, 19:48
Framlingham, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight parking near the park and ride?

PS Clerk Maxwell Road actually looks like quite a good option! Thankyou!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight parking near the park and ride?

Lots of free parking in The Homing on the left hand side of road about 300 metres townside of the Newmarket road park and ride site

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight parking near the park and ride?

Hi, Cambridge train station has a good bus link to the centre of town, the other thought is park at Whittlesford Parkway and train it in as it's £5.90 peak parking charge but £3 .40 or so off peak this is a far better deal.

My other suggestion it might be a little pricey, my local village has a free car park which I think people can park in for free but I can't be sure on the bus fare into Cambridge as I'm on free travel but the bus is half hourly bus and same roughly journey time and that's Linton. Buses are 13/13a more info via http://www.stagecoachbus.com/Cambridge/

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight parking near the park and ride?

JD

Park in Linton to stay at the Doubletree........Read the original post

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight parking near the park and ride?

The question I saw was about free parking near the park and ride but knowing there isn't much, I have suggested an option here which offers cheap parking as mentioned they'd be prepared to train in from info, and Whittlesford has a good car park.

The other option although out of the way is free, that's why I mentioned it as a way of saving more money.

Get answers to your questions about Cambridge