We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Cambridge, Ely and surrounding areas

Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tour Cambridge, Ely and surrounding areas

Visiting in May and want to know feasible and less expensive way to see historical landmarks and scenery. We are not driving but taking trains, hopefully.?

Wanted to know best way to see this area...stay in Ely and take tours to Cambridge? Stay in Cambridgeshire and take tours?

Basically, do not want to drive in England. Start at the Central North region and move down to London.

Any suggestions? Is the rail service possible? Or, should we use a home base and go from there?

Any information would be helpful.

Traveling with senior, two of us, we would like historical landmarks and scenery.

Thanks!

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Cambridge, Ely and surrounding areas

What do you mean by 'Central North region'? That will help us plot a route for you to Cambridge and Ely. Both are served by trains and worth a day's look but not a lot more...you could base yourself in either and have a day trip to the other.

A shortish train trip is Stamford...a lovely stone built town with Burghley House next door. Sort of Elizabethan bling. Great pub - the Tobie Norris - or great coaching inn for tea - The George.

From any of the three above, London is an easy train journey.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Cambridge, Ely and surrounding areas

I suppose we all have our favorites amongst the towns in the UK, but I have to say that to imply that Ely, and more particularly, Cambridge, are worth little more than a day and then recommend Stamford would seem somewhat bizarre to many.There is certainly considerably more to see in Cambridge than Stamford. Cambridge and Ely have a much better train service than Stamford as well. Even the much maligned Peterborough has a lovely cathedral, a great riverside and much better shopping than Stamford. Basing yourself in Cambridge or Ely would mean simple trips to see Norwich and Kings Lynn, and for an excellent day out a trip on the Coasthopper bus from Kings Lynn to Cromer

3. Re: Tour Cambridge, Ely and surrounding areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 January 2013, 21:33
Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Cambridge, Ely and surrounding areas

Thank you for your quick response!

Basically, trying to determine if using London as a "home base" is the right thing to do. The train information I have found is confusing as to which type of ticket to purchase to ride the trains anytime.

I like your suggestion of Cambridge one day and Ely and Stamford another. Burghley House was on our list. Ely for Cathedral, Chapter House, etc.

Very difficult to know how much time to allow in each destination.

Grand Haven...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Cambridge, Ely and surrounding areas

Thank you!

Are these train tickets easily purchased at the stations, or would I need to purchase a rail ticket?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,651 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Cambridge, Ely and surrounding areas

I'd recommend Cambridge. There is the option of staying near Cambridge station, with the Centintal Hotel and Travelodge on the Lesuire Park.

Just to give you an idea:

* Kings Lynn Trains every hour take 50 minutes or so

* Ely is served by at least three trains an hour, the Kings Lynn trains pass through as well as Norwich and Peterborough services plus the Ipswich service.

This is literally a 10 minute journey or so.

* Newmarket - I'd actually recommend taking the 11 or 12 fast bus from Drummer Street as its more central stop wise.

* Bury St Edmunds - The station isn't that central, I'd go for the 11 bus again myself as you'd possibly end up walking 5-10 minutes back into town.

* Peterborough - One direct train per hour more available by changing at Ely or if you want an interesting route take service bus B - this is hourly goes along the Busway to St Ives - one of the longest in the world them takes normal roads up to Huntingdon and I think does a semi fast journey from there but it's slower than the train.

* Royston - Two trains at least an hour but the station isn't that central, I'd actually suggest the hourly 26 bus if you ever wanted to go there.

* St Ives - bus literally every 10 minutes or so - best route the busway service A,B or C. - Services b + c stop more centrally than service A but there is a slower service on the route 1 or 1A which goes via the a14 from Drummer Street, the start of service b+c and B goes up to Huntingdon every 10-20 minutes plus the Whippet services 1-1A do Huntingdon to.

* Ipswich - I think service has become hourly but can't be sure from the train station.

* Saffron Walden - Also for Audley End House my honest opinion get a train to Audley End and get a taxi - the buses only seem hourly to the station and the direct bus takes forever I've done it myself from Cambridge it's not worth it.

The slightly faster option is a bit coco but faster - there is a Tuesday only service to Walden from my village (Linton) at 9am and or 12pm I think and takes twenty minutes but the only return is around 2.30pn if you want a day and you'd have to come out on the 13/13A to meet up with the service and go back in again but that I think is faster overall than the direct bus. Otherwise just get a taxi as I've said to the train station a ticket is around £4-5 return. This seems mad I know but it's from my own experience it's not worth messing with the buses at all to get there.

I hope this helps with getting around the area

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour Cambridge, Ely and surrounding areas

Note that the trains to Ipswich from Cambridge do not go via Ely. Quite why anyone would want to go to Royston escapes me.

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
154 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour Cambridge, Ely and surrounding areas

and the other thing that might just be worth adding to the above, trains to London from Cambridge can take as little as 50 minutes (to Kings Cross, a little longer to Liverpool St) which makes a day trip perfectly possible... As others have said, there is much to be seen in East Anglia and you should allow a couple of days in Cambridge, at least.... I notice you are from Michigan - a trip out to the American Cemetery at Madingley (just on the outskirts of town) and lunch in the 'RAF Bar' in the Eagle is a must... Hope you have a great trip...

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour Cambridge, Ely and surrounding areas

Cambridge makes an excellent base for trips by train,

Ely, King's Lynn, Newmarket, Bury St edmund, Norwich.

And I must agree with post 8, take an hour to go to the American Cemetery,

it is beautifully kept and very peaceful, you will be on American soil, we went there one Christmas when picking up our 18 year old son from Cambridge University, to see row after row of perfect white headstones to young men, most of whom were around his age, was very humbling. It makes you think, it made me cry. We will remember them. Thank you

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,027 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour Cambridge, Ely and surrounding areas

Here is to give you some ideas:

Cambridge

http://tinyurl.com/yhsjl99

http://tinyurl.com/2uphwzw