We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

preferred day of week to visit

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
preferred day of week to visit

We will be in London in March, and would like to take a day trip to Cambridge, to walk around the colleges and the town. Is a weekday or a weekend day preferable? Also, can we wait to decide on the day once we are in London (for example, to pick the best weather), or are the train fares very likely to increase as the date approaches, so that we should select the day in advance? Thanks.

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
154 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: preferred day of week to visit

Train fares can be a little cheaper by buying ahead (ie, are discounted by a small amount), but the fares are 'set' in essence. Fares for trains in the rush hours will be more. Off the top of my head, trains that arrive in Cambridge before 10:00 will be a little more expensive, but there is so much to see here, it would be worth it. For the day trip you are planning, it would be best to plan your day round the weather as you suggest. That answers your second question, as well, imho. Come on a day when the weather is set best - there aren't really any days when the city is less busy than another. Trains from Kings Cross are best - they are the fastest and you can be here in 50 minutes. Full details here - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ but don't worry, you can also buy your tickets on the day at the railway station.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: preferred day of week to visit

March is a nice time to visit ...The backs of the colleges should be full of colour from the spring flowers ,,Any day is good to visit but I would chose Sunday because of the excellent craft and food market in the Market Square

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: preferred day of week to visit

There's some slightly odd information being given here about trains.

The standard walk up return fare from London to Cambridge is £33.10 from Kings Cross and £27.20 from Liverpool St (usually about 20 mins slower). They drop to £23 and £19.80 respectively on weekdays leaving London on or after 0945 and all day Saturdays and Sundays.

Play round on the National Rail site for long enough and you'll find a small number of weekday departures after 0945 (and more at weekends) offering advance single tickets in each direction for £6. In theory these £6 deals are available up to about 1800 the night before, as long as the allocation hasn't sold out. So a visitor can decide at relatively short notice to go to Cambridge AND get the advance discount: you need to try dummy tests on the National Rail site to work out how late it's actually possible to delay your decision.

The 0945 rule means you can't get a weekday walkup offpeak ticket and be at Cambridge station (a substantial walk from the historic centre) before 1030. With colleges' closing hours, and sunset in late March at 1800 (at least till the clocks go forward on March 31), you might feel this limits your sightseeing time more than you feel comfortable with.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
61 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: preferred day of week to visit

Thanks to all. I hope you have the patience for a few more questions: Regarding the "standard walk up return fare from London to Cambridge" mentioned by flanneruk, would we need to buy the specific return ticket at the time we bought the outbound (i.e., to Cambridge)? Or would the cost be the same if we bought our return in Cambridge, once we decide how late in the day we want to stay? Also, I assume we'll need to take a bus between the train station and town (unless there are taxis). Do the buses run frequently into the early evening, even on Sundays? Is there a schedule I should consult? Thank you.

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
154 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: preferred day of week to visit

A 'Day return' will cover all your needs, factoring in the restrictions on first train you can take being 09:45 from Kings Cross. That will give you both legs of your journey. You can buy a ticket for an earlier train than 09:45, but it will cost a bit more. I don't think there are any restrictions on trains back to London. If it's a Sunday (or Saturday) 'peak time' restrictions don't apply so you can use any train, I think...

There are a number of bus routes that stop at the Station - I can't remember them all off the top of my head, but have a look here - cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/… the 'Citi' routes are the ones to look at - Citi 1 is certainly one that would do the trick... Plenty of taxis at the Station and on ranks in town to get you in and out of town...

hth

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
154 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: preferred day of week to visit

Sorry - at the risk of there being any confusion in what I posted (worded slightly clumsily), a 'Cheap day return' allows travel after the 09:45 from Kings Cross, a 'Day return' will allow travel before that time, but will be more expensive. Like I say, with so much to see here, it's probably worth the extra (imho)

hth..

Cambridge
Level Contributor
81 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: preferred day of week to visit

Hi, the difference between the off peak and full fare is about £10 when you look at the first capital connect web site (company that runs the Kings Cross to Cambridge service). http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/

Worth the extra in my view and the trains won't be that crowded as most of the commuters are going in the opposite direction. The fare is approx £35 and worth waiting for the better weather (if any!).

If you have the full return then you can go back on any train you like and that ticket will be cheaper than two singles. Not sure if there any restrictions returning on the off-peak, logic says there shouldn't be but that is not always how train fares operate.

Many of the University museums are closed at the weekends so if they are on the list then come during the week.

There are plenty of buses from the station to the city centre but you can walk it in 15 minutes. On Sundays the service will be more limited especially in the evenings. Check the stagecoach site for more info www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables.aspx…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
132 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: preferred day of week to visit

Personally I would pick a weekday. I find the city gets crowded on weekends.

9. Re: preferred day of week to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2014, 05:17