We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambridge bus to IWM Duxford?

Which Cambridge hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Cambridge bus to IWM Duxford?

I understand that there is a C7 bus in Cambridge which goes to Duxford. Can this be picked up near the train station? How close does it go to the IWM Duxford and the airfield? Does the bus run on a Sunday (I couldn't find any on the National Express website)? Is there any taxi service between the 2 towns?

I am planning a trip in July and we will be staying in London, catching the train to Cambridge.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambridge bus to IWM Duxford?

The 132 which runs on Sundays ONLY to the museum, it does stop at the station

www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford/directions

The C7 runs daily to the village of Duxford from where it's a short walk to the museum

cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/around/buses…

Cambs
Level Contributor
628 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambridge bus to IWM Duxford?

Alternatively catch a train from London Liverpool Street Station to Whittlesford Parkway and walk from there to IWM Duxford or pre-book a taxi (Local firm such as South Cambs Taxis): http://www.southcambstaxis.co.uk/

The walk would take around 50 minutes, but isn't very interesting!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambridge bus to IWM Duxford?

Thank you, thank you, so much for the reply. I think we are going to stay in Cambridge for the weekend, once we arrive in London.

One more question, since I have to catch a flight to Edinburgh on Monday around noon, how early should I leave Cambridge? This is assuming I take the Cambridge to Kings Cross train, then across to the Gatwick Express to the airport. 3 hrs?

Stowmarket, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambridge bus to IWM Duxford?

Have you booked the flight? Cos it seems silly to leave cambridge, head back south nice and early, wait in airport for 2-3hours, fly north scotland. Would be loads easier to jump on the train from cambridge to edinburgh..

Do they still have concorde at the museum?

Edited: 20 February 2013, 18:20
Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
154 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cambridge bus to IWM Duxford?

or if you really want to fly, it would be much easier to fly from Stansted (Easyjet, at least, have a service) that is only 30 or 40 minutes from Cambridge. There are trains or you can take a National Express coach....

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cambridge bus to IWM Duxford?

No, I didn't book that flight yet. What a great idea! A train from Cambridge to Edinburgh.... it appears to be a 5-hr journey (National Rail site) and cost about the same as a flight. Not to sound stupid, but since we don't have commuter trains where I live, are these comfy trains to Edinburgh? I would leave around noon.

I don't know if the Concorde is in Duxford, I only know there's a lot of WWII planes we want to see.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,159 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cambridge bus to IWM Duxford?

There is a Concorde at Duxford.

The American Air Museum there is great, too

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
154 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cambridge bus to IWM Duxford?

Trains to Edinburgh will be fine. You will have to catch a small commuter train from Cambridge to Peterborough and then change onto a larger main line express train. You should be able to reserve specific seats on the Edinburgh train. The train from Cambridge to Peterborough doesn't take too long and is an interesting journey in itself across the Fens and gives wonderful views of Ely cathedral..

Duxford is a great day out - but do allow plenty of time, there is a great deal to see..

And I've caught a train from Denver, so know what you mean.. The trip you're planning won't be the same as going to Glenwood Springs though... ;o)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cambridge bus to IWM Duxford?

When I travel between Edinburgh & Cambridge I normally fly with easyJet to Stansted which is 30 minutes from Cambridge

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cambridge bus to IWM Duxford?

Now, what does seem daft is the direct bus which use to operate may have stopped. If you ask at the city sightseeing office near the station they should be able to confirm if the duxford shuttle bus is running on the day, as it seems to run only at certain times and does go direct from the station, but I've not seen it recently, the vehicle I am not sure has gone back to normal services its a mystery to me what's happened as I've seen it at the station and in town but not the last few months and I can't get any sense out of city sightseeing's website or duxford's own site on this.