We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow one-way to Cambridge by train

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow one-way to Cambridge by train

Could you tell me the best way to get a one-way train from Heathrow airport T5 to Cambridge on a Saturday afternoon? Is it correct to take Heathrow to Kings Cross, then buy a ticket to Cambridge (CBG)? But which ticket machine at Kings Cross? Do I look for National Rail, EastCoast Rail, or something else? Hopefully, it is automated and I can avoid staffed ticket windows and the long lines. I want the train that takes 1 – 1.5 hours to get to the train station near the city center.

(The Liverpool St. or Liverpool Stn. had 2 or 3 train changes so I don't want that.)

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Heathrow one-way to Cambridge by train

I travel to London a lot on the trains at the weekend , never have a problem .

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Heathrow one-way to Cambridge by train

If taking the train take the Piccadilly line at Heathrow. You can take it all the way to Kings Cross/St Pancras.

If you go to www.tfl.gov.uk you can check out the map and route.

Hope you enjoy Cambridge! What are your plans when you arrive in Cambridge?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Heathrow one-way to Cambridge by train

Cambridge is barely a weekend. I hope to go walk off some jet lag around the commons, the River Cam and the colleges (Trinity looks nice) and visit the Eagle Bar. The next day we'll be off to the Imperial War Museum & airfield (my husband's passion for old war stuff) all day and find a restaurant in Cambridge center at night. Then it's off to Scotland Monday morning.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Heathrow one-way to Cambridge by train

I think I meant 'Kings College' looks pretty and I'd like to take some photos walking past there and also take a look at the Grasshopper Clock.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Heathrow one-way to Cambridge by train

The clock is just opposite The Eagle which is 100 metres from Kings College .

Enjoy your trip

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Heathrow one-way to Cambridge by train

Thank you all for the Cambridge advice. I just returned. It was so easy to get to Cambridge, I would definitely do it again, and bypass London. I loved Cambridge!

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
154 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Heathrow one-way to Cambridge by train

Thanks for letting us know.. Glad you had a good time!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Heathrow one-way to Cambridge by train

Glad you enjoyed it and I hope our advice was helpful.

19. Re: Heathrow one-way to Cambridge by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Cambridge