We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest way to NW England by Train from Cambridge

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Quickest way to NW England by Train from Cambridge

I'm looking for the fastest way to get to the Northwest of England (specifically Buckshaw Parkway, between Manchester and Preston) by train from Cambridge or surrounding areas.

I work on the science park by the A14 and plan to commute so that I work in Cambridge Mon AM through to Thur PM each week.

I do have a car and am not against using it to drive locally around Cambridgshire to get to different railway stations, but I don't want to drive the entire journey. I also have a few options of car pooling with colleagues to get to Waterbeach, Ely or Peterborough.

It seems most trains run south to north (i.e. to Yorkshire) or cross country to Birmingham unless I go via London. There does appear to be a handful of trains that run directly to Bradford and Halifax which might work (I could potentially get a lift at that end to my final destination), but they don't appear to stop at Peterborough, only Grantham or Doncaster.

Have I missed any obvious trains or routes? Your advice appreciated!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,291 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickest way to NW England by Train from Cambridge

There's several options - either changing at Ely & Piccadilly or Birmingham & Preston

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…last

You could consider changes at Peterborough / Leeds & Piccadilly but that's more changes and it doesn't seem to be any quicker

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quickest way to NW England by Train from Cambridge

Having had experience of the train from Ely to Manchester Piccadilly I wouldn't want to do it very often. It's run by East Midland and is a 2 carriage train invariably very busy, crowded and not very comfortable and doesn't have any refreshments and seems to take forever. Fine if you have to get it but not as a regular thing.

I would do Cambridge to London Kings Cross walk to London Euston get Virgin train to Preston and then backtrack to Buckshaw. It will probably be quicker too. Investigate ticket prices doing each leg on a separate ticket it may well be cheaper.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quickest way to NW England by Train from Cambridge

I am going to Liverpool in March and I went there last May.

Last May I went from Cambridge to Peterborough then Peterborough to Liverpool (this went via Manchester). The journey laster just over 2 hours.

This time around I'll be going via London most probably.

Depends if you want the fastest route or the easiest route? As the fastest route may contain more than one stop over some where. Whereas the 4 hour journey I had to Liverpool in May only had one stop over in Peterborough from Cambridge. Also depends if you want to avoid London or not.

4. Re: Quickest way to NW England by Train from Cambridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Cambridge