We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving and parking in Cambridge

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Driving and parking in Cambridge

I am renting a car from London to Yorkshire and will be doing a lot of stop-and-visit along the way.

My first day will be in St. Alban to Ely then Cambridge.

Looking at the past forums, seems like it is difficult to get a parking or easily get fine for "over park"

Any suggestion where is the best place to park in or near Cambridge?

Mentioned in this post
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Ely
Ely
Cambridgeshire, UK
Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving and parking in Cambridge

I'd always choose one of the park and ride car parks which encircle the city. Google 'Cambridge park and ride' for further and better particulars.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving and parking in Cambridge

As above, use a park and ride. You can drive into Cambridge (just about) but it's very busy,pparking is pretty bad and there's an odd one way system thingy with bollards in the centre.

It's also full of cyclists.

The city centre is tiny, so you'll be fine once you've got the bus in.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 20:14
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
783 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving and parking in Cambridge

Just one question, why St Albans - Ely - Cambridge ? St Albans - Cambridge - Ely would be a shorter distance and more logical if your ultimate destination is York.

Mentioned in this post
Ely
Ely
Cambridgeshire, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving and parking in Cambridge

Thank you Beauchamp. Will google it.

Thanks for yr advise kittyl48.

Bongodog1964...i will be putting couple of night in Kettering to visit places in Peterborough, leicester before moving up to York. So thought that visit Ely first before Cambridge then check-in to Kettering may be a better route, no? First time to UK, really don't know how to move about yet :)

Mentioned in this post
Peterborough
Peterborough
Cambridgeshire, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Ely
Ely
Cambridgeshire, UK
Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
6,851 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving and parking in Cambridge

If you want to visit Leicester and Peterborough it is better to stay in Uppingham rather than Kettering. It is closer to your two destinations and is much more attractive than Kettering. That said, Kettering is a bigger town with a greater range of shops and bars should you decide that you want more of that. The Lake Isle, the Falcon and the Garden Hotel are three highly regarded hotels in Uppingham.

From Uppingham it is a 30 minute drive to both Leicester and Peterborough. You could also comfortably reach both Ely and Cambridge from Uppingham though the driving time to both is around 90 minutes. Or you could take the train to both places from nearby (10 minutes' drive) Oakham. Should you choose to base yourself in Oakham - better than Kettering but not quite as good as Uppingham in my biased opinion - driving time to Leicester and Peterborough is about 40 minutes. Stamford is another town which could act as your base for a couple of nights.

If you drive rather than take the train the logical route is London - St Albans - Cambridge - Ely - Uppingham - York.

Mentioned in this post
Peterborough
Peterborough
Cambridgeshire, UK
Ely
Ely
Cambridgeshire, UK
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Sheffield
Level Contributor
5,205 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving and parking in Cambridge

Carrying on from Beauchamp's suggestion of Uppingham (which is very nice) I would go with his later idea of Stamford. A lovely stone built town, several very good hotels including The George, and Burghley House next door which is a wonderful Elizabethan House in a deer park.

Stamford is very close to the A1 road which runs from London, to York, to Edinburgh.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving and parking in Cambridge

Thank you very much beauchamp and davidblades.

Will definitely look into those places mentioned, appreciated it very much. Most of the places i checked out are big busy towns and touristic places. I actually prefer small towns, country side and historical places.

Since I will be renting a car, no problem for us to move around and will want to explore more.

BTW, I still have 3 nights, after the York, I will be staying in the Hartoft End near the National park for 3 nights. Any suggestion you can advise, where else to put up and before going back to London? My last 2 nights will be near London south before departure.

Mentioned in this post
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
8. Re: Driving and parking in Cambridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2015, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Cambridge