We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Cambridge Day Trip

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
72 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
London to Cambridge Day Trip

While on a trip to London we would like to do a day trip to Cambridge. We are staying near the Paddington Station & I found a train from there to Cambridge Station (CBG).

We would like to see Market Square, Downing St. along with some Chapels etc. Having no idea how large Cambridge is I have no way to know if the station is close to "anything"....make sense? Are there buses or any other type of transportation available once we arrive?

Any suggestions would be great! Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Cambridge Day Trip

Assuming you will have Travelcards you need not book the train from London Paddington to Cambridge. Instead, use your Travelcards on the Underground or 205 bus to King's Cross station and buy a return on the day. The Off Peak (depart KX after 0930 on a weekday or any time at weekends) return is £23.70; an Anytime return (including departures before 0930) will cost £34.10. Travel time is about 45 to 60 minutes.

There are slower stopping trains from London Liverpool Street, but you will need to add in travel time from Paddington (again using your Travelcards on the Circle or Hammersmith & City line to Liverpool Street) and slower rail journey. Check www.nationalrail.co.uk for train times then decide whether you may prefer the cheaper but slower trip from Liverpool Street.

Ask for Plus Bus when you buy your rail tickets at King's Cross, which will give you the equivalent of a one day Travelcard for use in Cambridge. The rail station is not in the town centre but is away from it to keep the temptation of jaunts to wicked London from students who should (ideally) be concentrating on higher-minded pursuits. cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/around/buses/

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
72 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Cambridge Day Trip

Traveller, thank you for your response! You have been helpful on other boards as well!! I do not have a Travelcard. I am guessing a tourist can purchase? The bus system in Cambridge (link you provided) seems really convenient!

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
72 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Cambridge Day Trip

Just Google Travelcard and got my answer:)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Cambridge Day Trip

If you, your father and brother plan to use transport in London you will need Travelcards or deep pockets. Buy them at Paddington station (where have you booked to stay nearby?) and you may use them for the offers at www.daysoutguide.co.uk

In another thread you mentioned making several day trips from London; is that still the case or will you see some of the capital after having travelled so far?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Cambridge Day Trip

Cambridge is pretty small. The train station is considered 'out of town' but actually it's only a 15 minute walk (many people take the bus - making it a 5 minute trip).

The centre is very compact so it's easy to get around and see what you want to see. Question - why Downing St and the Market? Not normally top of people's lists!

Do check specific college visitors opening hours before you go so you don't end up disappointed if something is shut when you try to see it.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Cambridge Day Trip

Downing St is actually closer to the railway station than many other parts of Cambridge. Just walk up Station Rd, turn left, and it's ten minutes straight walk along Hills Rd/Regent St, past the RC church. I spent a year of my life in one of the university departments there; apart from the Presbyterian Church and Univ museums, it's not the most picturesque in Cambridge. The Market Square is animated enough with a couple of anvient churches.

You really won't need to use the bus, unless it's raining.

As to getting there, why not go out one way and return the other?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
732 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Cambridge Day Trip

Unless you are visiting one of its museums Downing Street is just a traffic hell hole as its the main approach to the Grand Arcade car park. The main attractions are spread in a straight line along Trumpington Street, Kings Parade, Trinity Street, St Johns Street around a mile in total.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Cambridge Day Trip

Worth checking the double decker tourist bus for a quick whizz round ,then explore central Cambridge on foot .

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London to Cambridge Day Trip

Just to clarify - you cannot get a train direct to Cambridge from Paddington. You must tube or bus to Liverpool St from where your train will depart

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London to Cambridge Day Trip

Matthew - I hate that bus (and all other tourist buses) after I spent a week in a college room overlooking the road, and every morning I was woken with..... "xxxx college was founded in xxxx!" blasting out of its speakers....!

I love the Cambridge museums, but I would say they are really quite academicly orientated, which is fine if you have a natural curiosity about what you're looking at, just don't expect to be entertained with interactive displays or anything.

Get answers to your questions about Cambridge