We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour de France, 7 July in Cambridge, expect disruption

Cambridge
Level Contributor
24 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Tour de France, 7 July in Cambridge, expect disruption

The Tour will be in Cambridge on 7 July, the main bus station will be inaccessible and apparently there is a high demand for accommodation. If you are planning a visit and are not interested in the Tour, it may be better to plan for an alternative day. Further information on the following website

https:/…le-tour-cambridge

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour de France, 7 July in Cambridge, expect disruption

Thank you. Wirewiper has already posted detailed information about the rest of that day's tour schedule:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k753…

Essex
Level Contributor
28,198 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour de France, 7 July in Cambridge, expect disruption

The bummer is, they are coming through Essex and I have to work that day.

Shucks.

Not much on sport, meself normally, but the awesomeness of what these cyclists do, is one of the few sporty things I do like.

:-(

Cambridge
Level Contributor
24 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour de France, 7 July in Cambridge, expect disruption

Yes I saw that, which was why I posted the Cambridge details.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour de France, 7 July in Cambridge, expect disruption

Oh dear. Not sure how we missed the Tour de France situation in all our research, but we have booked one night only in Cambridge for Monday the 7th. I expect we will have trouble with accessing the Travelodge on Newmarket when we arrive during the day, parking the car and then in enjoying a walk around Cambridge to see the (non-cycling) sights for the limited amount of time we have. I hope we can see what we would like to see the next day before we leave. Any tips?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,658 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour de France, 7 July in Cambridge, expect disruption

https:/…le-tour-cambridge-route

england
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour de France, 7 July in Cambridge, expect disruption

The travelodge will not let you book in until 3p.m and the roads will begin to reopen then. Don't know when you planned to arrive/leave or what routes you were aiming to use so difficult to offer advice other than the general - use a park and ride away from the race route and dont head for your hotel until after 3p.m.

Edited: 17 June 2014, 10:29
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,658 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour de France, 7 July in Cambridge, expect disruption

National Express have announced that their coaches will only serve Trumpington Park-and-Ride for teh entire day:

nationalexpress.com/wherewego/events/sportin…

Cambs
Level Contributor
628 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour de France, 7 July in Cambridge, expect disruption

And from Trumpington P&R the Stagecoach website states:

Trumpington park&ride - Central Cambridge - This service will operate along the Busway between Trumpington park&ride and Cambridge Rail station.

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/TDF.aspx

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,007 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour de France, 7 July in Cambridge, expect disruption

The guy who won the TdF for Yorkshire was being interviewed by an Essex radio station. He was asked whether there would be massive traffic disruption - his reply was "I hope so"

Cambridge
Level Contributor
24 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour de France, 7 July in Cambridge, expect disruption

What you could do is stop at Ely and park there (try and avoid driving the A14). This is a lovely city about 12 miles outside Cambridge. You can then easily get a train into Cambridge (although expect them to be busy), it takes about 15 minutes. You can walk from the station into Cambridge again 15-20 minutes which will avoid the need to use buses. I work in Central Cambridge and we have been advised that unless we walk or cycle do not expect to get in, that the buses will be disrupted and roads closed to cars however, trains are expected to be busy but OK. Check times on www.nationalrail.co.uk.