We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groupon voucher for high tea at Doubletree hotel Cambridge

ESSEX
Level Contributor
116 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Groupon voucher for high tea at Doubletree hotel Cambridge

Hello to all on Tripadvisor,

I bought this voucher as a treat and used it Yesterday 29/7/2014 whilst in Cambridge for my wife and I and was really disappointed with the service, food, tea.

1. The staff were running about looking after the champagne groups and people spending lots of cash. We had people arrive and get food and drink before us we were patiently sitting waiting and having been there long before other people. We also over heard the staff talking about people and what they had and make sure the payed there bill soon, Not very nice comments for this standard of hotel and clientele.

2. The food that came was really sparse and although the young lady said it was unlimited food? On the menu it stated only if avalible at no point did anyone offer more. Not that we would have had any more titbits as they tasted stale.

3. The glass of prosecco was very nice the best part but came along with the cup of tea which was cold and stone cold when you added milk. These were served long before the food came and if you did want a refill tea it cost you £4 even though on the main menu it was £3.50!!! but on the special Groupon menu it was as stated £4

4. The table by the river was what originally sold it to me I thought it would be lovely and for the cost £21 I thought it was not bad value but really did not think It would be that bad.

I also thought there would be to much to see in the short time we were in Cambridge and that I might return and stay at the doubletree but after this saga I wont be back.

Finally not the hotels fault but just accross the river is a public walkway and as it was a lovely sunny day there was lots of punts and foot traffic so was not expecting a local scumbag who was sunbathing in a nice pair of red shorts to walk up to a tree and urinate right in front of everyone, I assume he was local he had a very nice bike. I wish I had filmed him and put it on utube.

Apart from that the rest of our day was very nice walking around Cambridge and would recommend it also be prepared to pay entrance fees from £1/ £7.50 each for the colleges they are not free and you are very limited were you may go whilst inside.

Regards Bob ESSEX

Edited: 30 July 2014, 11:29
Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,700 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groupon voucher for high tea at Doubletree hotel Cambridge

Your post echoes an unease, maybe misplaced, that I have with Groupon deals. I just have a sense that the reason hotels etc offer Groupon discounts is that they are having trouble selling their good or service at full market price so, if this is true, what's the matter with it? Secondly, and this is borne out by what you say Bob, are Groupon customers treated as poor relations?

For these reasons Groupon does not appeal to me.

ESSEX
Level Contributor
116 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groupon voucher for high tea at Doubletree hotel Cambridge

Thanks for your post,

I have had really good deals with Groupon in the past and I read between the lines on most offers, That said it does not give a hotel the right to treat any customer any different to others and if you offer a deal stick by it or you lose customer faith in you product.

The complaint was about service ,food quality not quantity and the offer of cold tea the deal was a good deal if the service and quality was there unfortunately it was not!!!

In a nutshell keep customers happy or they will not return and with forums like this businesses must keep people happy.

Bob Essex

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groupon voucher for high tea at Doubletree hotel Cambridge

High tea? Or was it afternoon tea?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
422 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groupon voucher for high tea at Doubletree hotel Cambridge

Good point bobessex but as in any industry surely the hotel has a right to treat each 'level' of paying customer as it's financial model deems appropriate. I don't expect to get the same treatment as business class fliers when I am sitting in economy.

That does. It excuse cold tea or poor food.

Edited: 30 July 2014, 15:18
5. Re: Groupon voucher for high tea at Doubletree hotel Cambridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 06:16