We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jersey or Guernsey?

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
Jersey or Guernsey?

My husband and I are planning a trip to France in October. We plan to spend most of our time in Dinan area and are thinking about taking the ferry from St. Malo to Channel Islands for two or three days. Guernsey or Jersey to spend the nights? We prefer a hotel within walking distance to shops and restaurants and hopefully can take public transportation to see some other sights in the area -- including some of the other islands.

Kent
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jersey or Guernsey?

Choice is a personal thing and I have visited both but my preference is Guernsey. Smaller than Jersey, there are some lovely restaurants and shops in St Peter Port plus a good bus service that will take you around the island. Other islands accessible by ferry from Guernsey are Sark and Herm. Herm is very small with just on hotel so other than lazing on the beach there is very little to do. Sark is very pretty and well worth a day trip especially as there are no cars, just bicycles, horses and carts and tractors, and there are some lovely walks.

www.visitguernsey.com

http://herm.com/

www.sark.info

Edited: 07 February 2013, 16:53
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jersey or Guernsey?

To get to Sark and Herm, the boats leave from Guernsey. So if you wish to visit these smaller islands and are staying on Jersey, you would first have to take a 1 hour boat trip to Guernsey.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Jersey or Guernsey?

Thanks! That's valuable information. They all sound interesting and beautiful so I guess we can't go wrong. My husband is very interested in the history of the islands and hopes to visit a museum or two and some sites.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jersey or Guernsey?

another vote for Guernsey ^_^

Jersey has a lot of shops, but they are mostly the same as anywhere else on this globe.....Guernsey is smaller and lovelier (imho)

Lewes, England.
Level Contributor
205 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jersey or Guernsey?

Guernsey.

You can (as posted) visit Herm and Sark... and Alderney.

Alderney is a very special place with some very impressive "Atlantic wall" fortifications..... and a short railway line.... and a huge breakwater.

Jersey to me feels more like being on the mainland.

You can also fly from Dinard with Aurigny on their short flights on trislander aircraft....... better than the condor ferry ! www.aurigny.com

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jersey or Guernsey?

Thank you for all the information. Very helpful. We'll start focusing on Guernsey!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jersey or Guernsey?

suggest you read 'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' ,fascinating novel set in occupied Guernsey.

8. Re: Jersey or Guernsey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2014, 20:16