We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guernsey or Jersey

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Guernsey or Jersey

Hi,

I am thinking of going to either Guernsey or Jersey in August with my husband. We would be going in a Caterham 7 so would like some good, fun roads. Good hotels and restaurants. We have not been to either so would be grateful for any advice. Many thanks.

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Guernsey or Jersey

Hallo AmandaJaneUk - I define from your mode of transport that there will be just the 2 of you and, you like fresh air! First pointer is that the speed limit on Guernsey, top max, is 35 mph and in Jersey - 45mph, this reduces in built up areas in Guernsey to 15/10 mph, and there is I believe similar restrictions in force on Jersey. We do have a number of residents on Guernsey with similar vehicles and also a large number of the "vintage" variety. Mostly though, these are taken out by the owners on fine days for a tootle about.

Parking and driving on Guernsey:

The first thing you need to do when getting off the ferry is to obtain a parking clock, this can be collected at the Tourist Information office or Vehicle Licensing Centre, or, they may be available at the harbour - not sure. You will need to set a clock whenever you park, if using public car parks, or roadside with the time you arrive. Parking times are clearly marked ie, 2 hrs, 10hrs, 23 in 24 hrs, etc. If you exceed the time you are liable to get a parking fine of £30 - you are not allowed to repark in the same place within 30 mins of vacating it, or, reset the clock and stay. We do not, as opposed to Jersey, subscribe to paid parking.

There are 2 main differences that you will come across on Guernsey, firstly we have a filter system, which just means that you take it in turns with other drivers, these are clearly marked, very civilised, in that there are no traffic jams as you would know them. Also, when making a right turn, you turn in front of the oncoming car, not behind it, you will generally find that local drivers will flash you at traffic lights and junctions, signifying that you should go before them. We are very polite drivers! Petrol is not a lot cheaper than in UK and there are lots of stations around.

Staying and eating out on Guernsey:

We have a wide variety of excellent hotels, restaurants, cafes and bars here to suit all tastes, through sophistication to casual. If you would like to let me have a more detailed idea of what you are looking for I will be please to give you some pointers.

Entertainment on Guernsey:

Again, this is very much according to taste, we do not do Manumission and the like, but I think you would that we are pretty upmarket in our general pursuits.

Trips and so forth from Guernsey:

We are within easy reach of France, and of course, the other Channel Islands - would suggest that you read up on these.

At the end of the day, all things do not please all of the people. I have recently reeived a post from an unfortunate couple who came in early June, it rained on them all week - suffice to say that they hated their time here, were thoroughly bored, hated us, and will never ever............ etc.

I hope I have given you some help and would be happy to let you have any more info that you need. Above all, enjoy a lovely holiday.

Best wishes.

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guernsey or Jersey

Hi Stileto

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. You have certainly given us a lot to think about. Our plans may however be changing so unfortunately Guernsey may have to wait!

Amanda

3. Re: Guernsey or Jersey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Guernsey
Recent Conversations