We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do supermarkets open on Sundays ?

Cheshire,uk
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Do supermarkets open on Sundays ?

I gather from previous posts (2006 i think) that supermarkets did not open on Sundays on Guernsey. Has this changed? We're arriving late on Sat evening and really need to shop on Sunday (my mother is coeliac so eating out is tricky). Thanks.

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Do supermarkets open on Sundays ?

Hey C

Welcome to Guernsey and the forum - hope you have a great holiday.

We have several M & S food outlets here, and one of them is open on Sundays, it is in the parish of St Martin, your mother will be familiar I am sure, with the range of products available there that she can tolerate. There are also several garages that will be open too and carry a wide range of food products.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Best wishes.

Cheshire,uk
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do supermarkets open on Sundays ?

Thanks ever so much for answering my question - this will put my Mohter's mind at rest, she has wanted to visit Guernsey for years so is looking forward to it alot.

Thanks again

C.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,185 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do supermarkets open on Sundays ?

Furthermore, there are quite a few Checkers-Xpresses on the island that are open daily to either 8 or 10 PM. They don't come cheap, though. Oh, and no selling alcohol in supermarkets on a Sunday.... ^_^

(Or has that changed?)

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Do supermarkets open on Sundays ?

Hey Mayhem

We can buy wine from both Checkers (good point), M&S, close by Saumarez Manor, where you have stayed and garages; on Sundays, it doesn't come cheap though, but really handy for the impromptu get togethers that we enjoy; as a frequent visitor you will know that it is so easy to meet people/ friends here, have a chat, and the next thing we all say is come to ours, tonight/today.

Best wishes.

UK
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do supermarkets open on Sundays ?

Ive just some back from a stay in St Martins and there is also a large modern Co-Op nearby which is also open on Sundays and cheaper than M&S if needed.

Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Do supermarkets open on Sundays ?

Hey BSnowden

Hope you enjoyed your stay on Guernsey :-)

Good point, and one more for C_Cheshire's list. Have to say that I tend to try and not shop on Sundays, preferring to catch up with fam and friends, and so shop at the closest place, if necessary, and overlooked the Co-op! Your gem of info will I am sure be v useful to other visitors on the forum.

Best wishes

7. Re: Do supermarkets open on Sundays ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2011, 06:25