We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying from US to Guernsey

Allentown
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
flying from US to Guernsey

Visitng Guernsey next June for the first time. Live in Pennsylvania. Anyone have a favorite route/airline when making the trip from the northeast states to Guernsey?

Mentioned in this post
Guernsey
Guernsey
Channel Islands, UK
Guernsey, Channel...
Level Contributor
398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
41. Re: flying from US to Guernsey

Hallo Anders

Welcome to the forum. If you are planning a trip to Guernsey yourself, sometime, let me know, and I will be happy to help out with Island wide sugestions.

Best wishes

Mentioned in this post
Guernsey
Guernsey
Channel Islands, UK
Allentown
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: flying from US to Guernsey

This is what I love about being able to pose these questions - people's willingness to be helpful. I hadn't really thought about trying to leave out of ABE. I have been checking the bigger neighboring airports given the international flight. I will check into to cost of leaving from ABE and see how that pans out. Thank you AndersE!

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: flying from US to Guernsey

Hi!

Channel islands is defenitely on the "to go" list But travelling is on hold right now until my new business is up and running!

I have a workmate who once was married to a Jersey girl!

The trick for this trip is to get to Gatwick!

Mentioned in this post
Jersey
Jersey
Channel Islands, UK
CO
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: flying from US to Guernsey

SarniaGirl -

Thank you so much for all the information on where to stay in Guernsey next year. We will be researching each one you recommended.

Mentioned in this post
Guernsey
Guernsey
Channel Islands, UK
Allentown
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: flying from US to Guernsey

AndersE,

For my knowledge, why do you say the trick is to get to Gatwick? Because there are more frequent flights from there to Guernsey?

Mentioned in this post
Guernsey
Guernsey
Channel Islands, UK
Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: flying from US to Guernsey

Yes!

Flybe has four flights on saturdays and Aurigny has five.

Allentown
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
47. Re: flying from US to Guernsey

Got it. Thanks AndersE

West Sussex
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: flying from US to Guernsey

Caymunda,

I am sorry to have to say that you are being presented with some really 'duff' info here by those who really are only guessing at an answer which is totally misleading and it is not fair on you. Some background, I have worked at London Gatwick (LGW) for twenty years and I can assure you that the runway is long enough taking B747,B777,A320 etc and it is the busiest single runway in the world. Flying onto Guernsey is simple using either Aurigny or Flybe airlines and between them there are departures almost every hour. The trip from LGW to Guernsey only takes approx 40mins. Midweek, midday flights are the cheapest into a lovely modern airport with car hire and taxis on hand. This island is a gem as are the neighbouring islands of Herm, Sark and Alderney - all easy got to on the ferrys from St Peter Port. And you must walk the coastal path on the south coast (the north is not as pretty but different). Herm is also a must, do you can walk the island in an hour - Shell beach is a different world!. This is not some backwater of the UK and has a vibrant off shore Finance industry. My wife and I got married there some six years ago and we visit at least twice a year - if only we could live there. Great food, cafes (the Candie Gardens !) and restauraunts. Hotels are great value (try not to go too cheap nothing below 3 Stars might be a good guide) and characterful - we can recommend La Barbarie (great food here) and Jerbourg Hotels and if you can for a special meal, eat at La Fregate or the Auberge for a real dining experience - all have websites. 'Visit Guernsey' is a good info website and (we have no connection) and C.I Travel who are based in Jersey are great for flights. Sterling is the currency (language is English - not French) so no problems there. There is some serious chill here if you want it, stacks of history and things to do with good manners in abundance. Can't believe the "Gatwick runway not being long enough". Hope all goes well.

Bumpy

Edited: 02 November 2010, 23:41
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Guernsey
Guernsey
Channel Islands, UK
St Peter Port
St Peter Port
Guernsey, UK
Candie Gardens
Candie Gardens
512 Reviews
Guernsey, UK
La Barbarie Hotel
La Barbarie Hotel
652 Reviews
Guernsey, UK
Hotel Jerbourg
Hotel Jerbourg
351 Reviews
Guernsey, UK
Jersey
Jersey
Channel Islands, UK
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: flying from US to Guernsey

Bumpy

I think you may have misunderstood an earlier post (perhaps mine??): the runway being discussed was the single runway at Guernsey airport, (which is currently only long enough to service Boeing 737) - and not Gatwick's much longer runway. I worked in the travel industry here in Guernsey for many years and agree that LGW has the best, convenient onward connections to the Island.

Love your recommendations for the Islands: you obviously enjoy your time here. And I second Candie Gardens: lovely spot!

:-)

Mentioned in this post
Guernsey
Guernsey
Channel Islands, UK
Candie Gardens
Candie Gardens
512 Reviews
Guernsey, UK
West Sussex
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: flying from US to Guernsey

Dear Sarnia Girl,

I feel really humbled by your post. I really should read things properly - a lesson learnt but I am so protective all matters Guernsey and have such a strong affinity to your island, its a long story. Mrs Bumpy and I normally spend Christmas in Guernsey starting with lunch at the Fregate on Christmas Eve - our wedding anniversary. Unlikely to be this year - poorly father-in- law. Hopefully next year and possibly Spring, the coastal path, lunch at the Bon Port (still miss Idle Rocks!) and on to and above Saints Bay - can't wait.

Regards

Bumpy (aka the West Sussex Grumpmeister)

Mentioned in this post
Guernsey
Guernsey
Channel Islands, UK
La Fregate Hotel
La Fregate Hotel
298 Reviews
Guernsey, UK
West Sussex
West Sussex
England, UK