We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips to Sark and Herm

Allentown
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
day trips to Sark and Herm

Will be on Guernsey June 24 to July 2! Want to take day trips to Sark and Herm. If I understand correctly, I can get tickets for the ferry to Herm on the day of travel. For Sark however, it sounds as though it is recommended to make those reservations "ahead of time". Not sure how much ahead of time that needs to be. I would like to wait until closer to the date of visit to get a better feel for the weather forecast. We will be in St. Peter Port on Saturday (the 25th) morning - would I be able pick up tickets for one of the days that following week for the ferry to Sark?

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips to Sark and Herm

After we arrived we walked to the kiosk on the harbour to book our trip to Sark a couple of days in advance as I wanted to make sure the sea was reasonably settled. We had a really good day out. We took the horse and carriage tour, had a lovely lunch and explored a bit before the return journey. That was in May '09 so was not too busy. Do not know how busy it will be at the end of June, someone else will probably be able to help on this.

It is many years since we went to Herm and it has more than likely changed now, but I do remember then that it was very picturesque and there was not much there other than the shop, hotel and beach, so pick a nice day to sit and sunbathe.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips to Sark and Herm

Herm has not changed all that much, it still lovely! And no, you don't need to book ahead. As it is a small island it catches a lot more wind than Guernsey so best not pick a windy day!

For Sark, I'd choose a sunny day as well...I'm not sure, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary to book ahead....but I haven't been in over 10 years, so not totally sure. The ferries are fairly big, though, always room for a few more people...^_^

Allentown
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips to Sark and Herm

Thank you marg001 and Meyem. Think we will wait until we arrive in Guernsey to make these plans. I've been looking at the temperatures. Low 52F and High 63F. Would think that with the wind, this could be quite cool on the islands. I was thinking more shorts weather but perhaps I better re-evaluate? I think most of our time will be on the southern cliffs.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips to Sark and Herm

The south cliffs are amazing....as for the weather, too early to make a statement, I'd say...

Allentown
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips to Sark and Herm

Meyem,

This is that trip that we started to look into almost a year ago:) - staying at The Sanctuary in Forest Parish. It is said that we will be able to walk to the cliffside trails from the cottage. Everyone that we have had contact with have been lovely. Thanks to all here on the advisory board.

I was able to arrange Island Taxis through e-mail. Made that easy.

Cliff Top Cottages will deliver our bikes and all to the cottage upon our arrival. What a nice service.

In some respects, I feel somewhat unprepared as we are from the US and don't have "hands on" information - map. I think that is just me though. As helpful and kind as everybody has been thus far, I'm sure all will be well.

Will keep an eye on the weather............

Reigate, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips to Sark and Herm

I've been visiting Guernsey and its islands on and off since 1979 (with a few gaps inbetween!) and while it's a beautiful part of the world, it doesn't enjoy the warmest temperatures due to its location and the prevailing winds that batter its coastline. We started taking family holidays there in August 1979 and spent two weeks there every August for the next four years, and I can honestly say that it was never really shorts weather. Sunbathing was never a problem if you found somewhere sheltered, but if you went in swimming, you would generally get dried off and fully dressed again once you got out of the sea!! Don't get me wrong, it's not "cold" in summer, but generally not sweltering either!

That said, I love the islands and all they have to offer, including the laid back way of life. But to answer your question, I have made many visits to both Herm and Sark over the years and have never had a problem with walking up to one of the booking offices and getting a seat on the next sailing. There are more options available for getting to Herm, but even with the limited sailings available to Sark, I've yet to see that boat leave the Town harbour without plenty of space available.

Herm is such a beautiful island, with its white sandy beaches, turquoise sea and tranquil way of life. To be honest, if the sun is shining when you visit you probably won't really care whether it's hot, cold or indifferent, you'll be too chilled out to worry!

Enjoy...I'm a tad jealous!!

7. Re: day trips to Sark and Herm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Guernsey
Recent Conversations