We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire please advice

Rotterdam, The...
3 posts
Save Topic
Car Hire please advice

I read stories about value rent a car.

Can any one tell me if Easycar works also together?

I heard Avis is the same, but can anyone advice me on good rentals?

Rotterdam, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire please advice

or any experience with holidayautos ?

UK
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire please advice

You are quite right to be concerned about Value rent a car (they are agents for avis on the island). I have been coming to the island for 20 years and have used value rent a car for the last 8 years or so. I decided to do this initially as other car hire firms would insist that you took out fully comprehensive collison damage waver insurance. When you are only going about 15 miles a day and it cost an extra £7 per day or thereabouts for the extra insurance I decided it would be worth taking the risk. Initially there was a £400 excess and subsequent years £1500. The Value hire firm made it clear that I would be responsible for any dents and scrapes that might happen to the car.

Last year after a 3 week rental I took the car back to the airport and handed in the car keys. I had carefully looked around the car and could not find a scratch on it. I was called back to the hire desk just as our flight was being called. I was shown a tiny superficial scratch (about 2mm) and a small chip (about 0.5mm). I questioned the man from the firm who said he was very sorry but to correct the damage would be just over £400. There is no way that this sum of money can be reasonably charged- I was told that 2 car panels needed to be completely resprayed. I asked him to write on the rental agreement the length of the damage but he said he couldn't do this as he did not have a ruler. He did agree to write that it was smaller than a 5 pence piece. I took photos with my camera but couldnt see the damage subsequently. I had to get my flight so couldnt make any more complaint at the time.

I received a bill for the money with a photo of the 'damage' and the money was taken from my VISA account. I did ask for help from the Guernsey Citizens Advice bureau who didnt feel they could help. I read of the Value car firm charging excessively off other tourists having a similar experience in the local press when I was here last year. I subsequently found out I could have asked VISA to look into this practice.

It is clear to me that VALUE car rental expect the car to be returned in perfect condition. They will not allow for any wear and tear. After my experience I would recommend not using this company at all. If you do I would suggest not only do you take out the collsion damage waver insurance (about £7 pe rday) but also the super collision damage waiver insurance (an extra £2 per day). There seems little point in just taking out the collision damage insurance alone as you will end up paying for any minor scratch.

So back to your original question who do you go with? Well this year I have chosen Hertz with their standard insurance. They were friendly and welcoming and seem very unconcerned by minor scratches on the car which they said will not be charged for. They also seemed to know all about their competitors way of operating but were professional and simply said that others had come to them because of this practice. Hertz worked out at a similar price to Value with all their extra insurance. You may get things slightly cheaper through the internet. Certainly the site that I almost went with worked out marginally cheaper but they did not say who the rental was going to be with and if we took out their insurance we would need to pay upfront for damage and then reclaim the money afterwards.

I hope this helps.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire please advice

The buses on Guernsey are so good and so cheap I wouldnt bother with a car at all :-)

Rotterdam, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire please advice

I know but they only drive upto ± 2200 hours in eve..

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
6 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire please advice

Do not use Value rent a car (AVIS )! they scam u . a month ago i used them for 1 day .the claimed that in 1 day i had sccratched the inner lid of the boot with my oernight bag and charged 230 pounds

i've complained to boith Avis intl and the local tourist board claiming it was a scam.

better still if u can avoid Guernsey, altogether, they are out to skim and scam the tourists. a truly unpleasant place.

Edited: 05 August 2012, 23:13
Cheshire - England
Level Contributor
693 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire please advice

Hello - I have family on the island so have visited many times. I always rent from http://www.europcarguernsey.com as their desk is literally about 5 seconds walk after you have come out of the arrivals doors!

Never on one single occasion have I had any problems with them and while I have seen many complaints about other car hire companies on Trip advisor there does not seem to be any about them.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire please advice

I think you all need to get lives as Value and Avis is Guernsey is the only ones I use and will use as I think David and his team is nice, caring and up front. at least they tell you everything and only charge what is printed. I used Europcar once and got £600.00 taken out for a dent, Values paperwork said £94.00 for the same. I now pay for a zero risk cover and all David does is takes my keys and says buy we will see you next trip. This is my 2nd year now with them. I WILL NEVER USE EUROPCAR GUERNSEY ......

Sheffield, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire please advice

Try paying the £500 excess insurance and see if you still feel the same after being scammed for £400 !!! for zero damage

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire please advice

We used Europcar Guernsey this weekend and they have been fabulous! Not only were they inexpensive, but when we stupidly lost the keys by the hand brake on Easter Sunday, they came to our rescue super fast and were super friendly! I would highly recommend them!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Europcar Guernsey
Europcar Guernsey
5 Reviews
Guernsey, UK
pevensey,east sussex
Level Contributor
9 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire please advice

I had exactly the same experience with this company. They did not like that I had my own additional damage cover for £39 its worldwide and annual . Obviously they want to sting everyone !!

Get answers to your questions about Guernsey